X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a re-read of Macbeth to a lemon French Fancy at 89p!

If ever evidence were needed as to the breadth of inspiration afforded by the AA thread, there it is!

Yes, Angel - and that is one of the fascinating thematic cross-references in the play that show the contrary psychological trajectories of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth: early, just after the murder, it is Macbeth who is obsessed with his blood-soiled hands, and Lady Macbeth pours scorn on his weakness... But he hardens his heart as the play goes on, whereas she progressively loses it so that by Act 5, her subconscious guilt is making her obsess about the stain of the blood. And the 'hand' motif makes us realise it. It's as good as great music!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

No-one responded so here goes.

What J links:

- An ensemble brass player
      - Was perhaps less well-known as a harpsichordist than he was as an exponent another instrument
      - Chicago assistant musical director who studied at Sussex and worked as a stage-hand at Glyndebourne

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        No-one responded so here goes.
        'Allo? C'est moi, ici! J'ai répondu de vous... après avoir mangé mon gâteau!! (I've gorn all Frenchified after that Fancy!)

Comment

Going out, looking for a French Fancy, just hoping I have not got the wrong end of the stick. Oo--la-la.
          Back within the hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
            Going out, looking for a French Fancy, just hoping I have not got the wrong end of the stick. Oo--la-la.
            I suspect that it all rather depends upon which shop you go into, Angle

Comment

Nice to drop in after a few days absence and to see we are on J already

I fear my presence will be somewhat intermittent this fine afternoon but I've had some thoughts on J which maybe someone can take forward. After toying with Philip Jones for No.1 and Keith Jarrett for No.2 (that's the Jazz pianist, not the Welsh Rugby centre) who has recorded Bach on the harpsichord, I think the answer for No.3 has to be director Sir Peter Jonas, erstwhile of the ENO and assistant to Solti.

There are a couple of eminent pianists surnamed Jonas but I can't see any harpsichord connection. And nothing on the brass front either...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                Nice to drop in after a few days absence and to see we are on J already

There are a couple of eminent pianists surnamed Jonas but I can't see any harpsichord connection. And nothing on the brass front either...
                Hello rubbers! <wave emoticon> Did you have a nice holiday as well? There is a Jonas Bylund, Stockholm Brass Ensemble it seems but I've been a bit too busy to concentrate on the J

Comment

Philip Jones is correct for the first
                  Keith Jarrett is incorrect for the second
                  Harpsichord is correct but who played one as well as being better known for another instrument. Who he ?
                  Sir Peter Jonas is correct for the third but I should have mentioned that one was an odd man out. Sorry.

So K might go to rubbernecker, to whom: Welcome back.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Hello rubbers! <wave emoticon> Did you have a nice holiday as well?
                    Shhh Anna, don't think it went too well... see #3996

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Shhh Anna, don't think it went too well... see #3996
                      Oh, rubbers went to Whitby? You know, I would never have had him down as a Goth! The things you learn on AA

Comment

Oh, rubbers went to Whitby? You know, I would never have had him down as a Goth! The things you learn on AA
                        I think it was mainly north Wales and then a hack across country for a friend's birthday bash.. But rubbers can (and no doubt will) speak for himself upon his return from his intermittent preoccupations.

By the way, on the subject of small cakes, I just sampled a seasonal offering from Mr Kipling - Simnel Slices. Nice plump juicy fruit

Reminded me of my dear old Yorkshire Granny who baked a Simnel cake every year at Easter, with the toasted top and complete with the 11 marzipan eggs round the edge (representing the 12 apostles minus the perfidious Judas)

Comment

By the way, on the subject of small cakes, I just sampled a seasonal offering from Mr Kipling - Simnel Slices. Nice plump juicy fruit
                          Gosh, is this turning into the fruit cake thread? Or, the thread for fruitcakes? Actually, I also treated myself to a couple of Brioche à tête filled with apricot conserve for breakfast!
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-04-11, 16:47.

Comment

Or, the thread for fruitcakes?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hardin_028.jpg

Yum!

Comment

Yum!
                              I would rather have a cheese board and some decent wines and grapes rather than a fruit bun, no matter than it is jazzed up as a loaf and as for the marzipan, I just eat it, as it comes, wonderful

So, what was the K puzzle? Am I confused? Probably I will be.

Comment

I would rather have a cheese board and some decent wines and grapes rather than a fruit bun, no matter than it is jazzed up as a loaf and as for the marzipan, I just eat it, as it comes, wonderful

So, what was the K puzzle? Am I confused? Probably I will be.
                                I'm still not clear about J...

Comment

Working...
                                X