This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiki tells us -
    "A French Fancy (also known as a Fondant Fancy) is a British variety of iced sponge cake, resembling petit fours. They were originally produced in the UK by the Mr Kipling company."

- ready for an easy G ?

Mozart seems to have left the room with it; it was once compulsory for Beethoven; but personally with this American the relatively small becomes over-long.

Comment

Well done to all concerning F, especially to vinteuil for the solution. As reward, v, kindly accept a lemon French Fancy (my favourite).

The Stranglers, Anna? That takes me back...

Now to G. Hmmm...

Is it Glass?

Comment

Good morning, Tapiola...

now, why might it be?

Comment

Good morning vinteuil,

Glass was idle speculation on my part, without too much thought put into it as to the reasoning.

Mozart wrote works for glass harmonica (though why he might have left the room with it I know not);
          Beethoven was allegedly partial to a drink or two;
          Philip Glass (imo, and as you may have implied) knows a thing or two about flogging the equine deceased long after rigor mortis has set in...

Comment

Taps - very nearly there...

Mozart's last chamber work ("left the room... ") was K617 Adagio and Rondo for Glass armonica, fl., ob., vla., cello.

Philip Glass turned minimalism into overlong works - and relatively so with Einstein on the Beach...

Could you enlighten as to why compulsory for B'ven... ?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Mozart's last chamber work ("left the room... ") was K617 Adagio and Rondo for Glass armonica, fl., ob., vla., cello.

Philip Glass turned minimalism into overlong works - and relatively so with Einstein on the Beach...

Confession time: I actually quite like Einstein, and Akhnaten, though I could live without nearly everthing else of his I have heard.

Compulsory for Beethoven... I have a feeling I am being very slow on the uptake here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                the equine deceased
                ..or the "equine fatalities" (or "obstacles") as the BBC were talking about after Saturday's Grand National

I have no idea why glass or a glass was obligatory for LvB, I don't think you're being particularly slow on the uptake, you've done well with G! And it's good to see Mr Glass getting a bit of stick
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  .. why glass or a glass was obligatory for LvB, :
                  Caliban's synonym here a very helpful clue...

Comment

Hmmm...

Googling reveals B's incidental music for the play Leonore Prohaska, which contains a melodrama for narrator and glass armonica. Could it be that the armonica part is obbligato?

Comment

the glass here nothing to with an armonica...

Comment

Beethoven's Duo for viola and cello, WoO 32, is subtitled "mit zwei obligaten Augengläsern" ("with two [pairs of] obbligato eyeglasses") which seems to refer to the necessity, at the first performance, of spectacles for both Beethoven and his cellist

(Wiki)

Comment

mercia gets the last element...

Tapiola got the word and the first two elements - and thus, I think, supplies us with the H we need...

Well done all round.

Comment

Well done, mercia, on the last element, which would never have got.

Apologies for the hiatus, but I have been trying without too much success to process an "H". Here it is anyway (and it could well break the record for the fastest ever solution):

H:

Here are the classified results:

Mozart 4 Ligeti 1
                            Hindemith 1 Strauss 2
                            Cherubini 1 Beethoven 0

Comment

What speedy progress has been made today. Well done to Vinteuil and Tapiola.

With the F I had made a different connection : Maria in West Side Story mentions fleas in I Feel Pretty :

It must be the heat
                              Or some rare disease
                              Or too much to eat
                              Or maybe it's fleas

A dog in Kipling's His Wedded Wife, spends its time searching for fleas and Brown Rats, like Black Rats, carry fleas.

I couldn't find the Fancy Free link with Rats but it is all immaterial now.

An H is coming from Tapiola ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                                Well done, mercia, on the last element, which would never have got.

Apologies for the hiatus, but I have been trying without too much success to process an "H". Here it is anyway (and it could well break the record for the fastest ever solution):

H:

Here are the classified results:

Mozart 4 Ligeti 1
                                Hindemith 1 Strauss 2
                                Cherubini 1 Beethoven 0
                                Off the top of me 'ead, son: 'orn concertos?

Ooops sorry, I seem to have dropped something....

A Haitch!

PS I have no idea if Ligeti or Cherubini wrote one apiece... Have to dash out briefly so can't look it up....
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X