X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Indeed well done look forward to T with you
    What T links composers who died in exile (voluntary or otherwise) in Italy, USA and France?

Comment

Enjoying the various Sunday questions! T is a Teaser...

Going through all the various émigré composers i know...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        What T links composers who died in exile (voluntary or otherwise) in Italy, USA and France?
        I'm thinking this might be something to do with Sergei Taneyev who taught Rachmaninov and Gretchaninov, both of whom died in the USA, and Lyapunov who died in France. Another of his pupils was Medtner, who died in London. I can't find the Italian connection, but I'm sure he taught some Russian composer who died there...!

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          I'm thinking this might be something to do with Sergei Taneyev who taught Rachmaninov and Gretchaninov, both of whom died in the USA, and Lyapunov who died in France. Another of his pupils was Medtner, who died in London. I can't find the Italian connection, but I'm sure he taught some Russian composer who died there...!
          No. Just one relevant composer died in each country.

Comment

Could we be talking Chopin, Stravinsky and the third man?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Could we be talking Chopin, Stravinsky and the third man?
              One out of three so far. One had his final resting place in Spain, the other two in Italy.

Comment

Are all three composers in the musical sense? If not, Keats and Stravinsky might qualify, as they both died of tuberculosis and were both buried in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                  Are all three composers in the musical sense? If not, Keats and Stravinsky might qualify, as they both died of tuberculosis and were both buried in Italy.
                  All three are composers of music.

Comment

One out of three so far. One had his final resting place in Spain, the other two in Italy.
                    Now I am confused as to the countries involved? Or am I just reading things wrongly?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Now I am confused as to the countries involved? Or am I just reading things wrongly?
                      Two of them were buried in a different country from the one in which they died.

Comment

Any chance of a hint as to which one is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          Any chance of a hint as to which one is correct?
                          The correct one has been mentioned twice so far.

Comment

Two of them were buried in a different country from the one in which they died.
                            Additional clue: the third one was cremated.

Comment

Additional clue: the third one was cremated.
                              William Walton died in Ischia and was cremated. If it's him I cannot at the moment find a T connection with Stravinsky. Unless, were his ashes later brought to England? Stuck on someone buried in Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                William Walton died in Ischia and was cremated. If it's him I cannot at the moment find a T connection with Stravinsky. Unless, were his ashes later brought to England? Stuck on someone buried in Spain.
                                Now two out of three. Walton's ashes were buried in Ischia. Now we need one who died in France and was buried in Spain (his homeland).

Comment

Working...
                                X