X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    The operatic archbishop could well be a Hindemith role: the Archbishop of Mainz. Fuller details later, unless someone else gets here before I have got myself going today.

I have someone in mind for melancholic artist but cannot thik why he should have been melacholic unless it is one of his works.

No thoughts about the Russian opera.

By the way Tapiola, you were the answer to a question in today's Radio 4 "Counterpoint" quiz conducted by the irritating Gambacchini.

Nice to read your reference to Lark Lane, Tapiola. It is not quite as vibrant as it was though I suppose there are still highs moments.

Welcome back to Caliban.
    A belated welcome to this thread from me, Angle. And a very interesting "Y", over which I am now kicking myself.

You are well on the way with "A"... Think slightly less literally perhaps about the Russian opera clue...

So why was Gambo taking my name in vain?

And Lark Lane - Mrs T lived very close to there many years ago and has told me a lot of interesting stories about the local "heads". I've been there once or twice myself. My kind of place.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      Aah, that J Cash song is an absolute classic Love it. And used to be a big fave of me dad's.

The Man heretowith my meeting has the potential to invoke similar feelings to the lyrics expressed in that song, though The Man in my own context is the personification of the faceless, branding-obsessed corporation which has become the norm in my sphere of work.

There is of course "Waiting for The Man" by The Velvet Underground, a song about a drug deal.

The Man this afternoon was actually early and the meeting passed off without major incident. :cool2:
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Angle
        • Dec 2010

No advance on Russian Opera but :

Comment

• Anna

Tapiola, many thanks for that Velvet Underground link, I love the VU, love Lou Reed!! Particularly the Berlin album, play that quite a lot apart from the early stuff

Sorry, going off-topic, am at home, it's blowing a hooley outside and cannot decide what to pack and, as it'll be birthday celebrations, whether I will be whisked off to a swanky restaurant :cool2: As you were, back to the quiz.

Comment

• Tapiola
            • Jan 2011

Your birthday today, Anna? Many happy returns to you!

The is on me. I do hope you do get taken off somewhere posh...

Angle, you are spot on with that picture and, as you have intimated your cracking of the archbishop reference then the plaudits of "B" belong to you.

Just the filling in of outstanding details of clues 1 and 2, and the identification of the Russian opera. A clue to this last one: the controversial butcher does not refer to a character in this opera but rather to the conductor of the work's premiere...

Comment

• Angle
              • Dec 2010

HI Tapiola, I deliberately haven't not given the A word yet so perhaps someone else will provide it and have the pleasure of setting the B question. Shall we wait and see for a time ?

Happy Birthday, Anna. The sun was shining around lunchtime here. Chin up!

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                HI Tapiola, I deliberately haven't not given the A word yet so perhaps someone else will provide it and have the pleasure of setting the B question. Shall we wait and see for a time ?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

Just the filling in of outstanding details of clues 1 and 2, and the identification of the Russian opera. A clue to this last one: the controversial butcher does not refer to a character in this opera but rather to the conductor of the work's premiere...
                  Is Schnittke the composer involved?

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Schnittke? What makes you say that, subcontra?

Comment

• subcontrabass
                      • Nov 2010

Schnittke? What makes you say that, subcontra?
                      At the first performance of his Historia von D. Johann Fausten in 1995, the conductor, according to a report in the New York Times, "chose to make a number of cuts".

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

He did indeed, subcontra, which was quite naughty of him, as Schnittke was reportedly too ill to intervene.

"A" is done and dusted now. Who would like to utter the "A" word?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I'm still completely lost

Come on someone!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Angle
                            • Dec 2010

I suppose I'll have to but I don't want to hog the game.

ALBRECHT von Brandenburg was the operatic Archbishop in Mathis der Maler by Hindemith (I meant him once, in Leeds Town Hall)
                            ALBRECHT Durer work includes a woodcut known as Melancholia though it has had other titles, I believe.
                            Gerd ALBRECHT was the butcher - a solution unearthed by contrabasse.

I don't think I would ever have got the last one.

Comment

• Angle
                              • Dec 2010

Perhaps I should clarify that it was Hindemith whom I met, not the Archbishop of Mainz.

Comment

• Angle
                                • Dec 2010

Anyone for an easy B ?

What B is

- a space between vertical lines?
                                - a place for purchase of measures?
                                - a portable or mounted balancing aid?
                                - a baritone from Dresden?
                                - a vertical line between spaces?

Comment

Working...