X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The Richard isn't Hosford though... What about the 102 year part of the clue, and the two bunches of fives?
    Oh well, can't win them all. Now, I am away to bed and horrendous early start in the morn.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Oh well, can't win them all. Now, I am away to bed and horrendous early start in the morn.
      Bon voyage, sweet lady!

No one want to tidy up the remaining bits i.e. the Richard / 102 year connection?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Bon voyage, sweet lady!
        Oooh! In'ee BOLD!

And goodnight to you too, heartface

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Bon voyage, sweet lady!

No one want to tidy up the remaining bits i.e. the Richard / 102 year connection?
          Richard Muhlfeld, for whom Brahms wrote his Clarinet Quintet 102 years after Mozart wrote his.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            Richard Muhlfeld, for whom Brahms wrote his Clarinet Quintet 102 years after Mozart wrote his.
            There you go

Comment

• Angle
              • Dec 2010

I don't know how long you people stay up at night but it's just early evening for me, even beside the Mersey.

I am glad the Richard bit was cleared up - I know of umpteen Richard's who play or have played the clarinet but the 102 year bit required some arithmetic and I've had enough of that.

I probably shall not be out of bed before D is solved but I need to have each clue solved. The D is the easy bit.

What D links

The walls of a dungeon
              The road to Channel port
              The hands of undetected murderer
              An excess of emotion
              A refusal to renew youth

I should be back before your lunchtime. all being well.

Don

Comment

• Angle
                • Dec 2010

Corrected puzzle :

What D links

The walls of a dungeon
                The road to a Channel port
                The hands of an undetected murderer
                An excess of emotion
                A refusal to renew youth

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                  I don't know how long you people stay up at night but it's just early evening for me, even beside the Mersey.

I am glad the Richard bit was cleared up - I know of umpteen Richard's who play or have played the clarinet but the 102 year bit required some arithmetic and I've had enough of that.

I probably shall not be out of bed before D is solved but I need to have each clue solved. The D is the easy bit.

What D links

The walls of a dungeon
                  The road to Channel port
                  The hands of undetected murderer
                  An excess of emotion
                  A refusal to renew youth

I should be back before your lunchtime. all being well.

Don
                  Bedtime here and no answers yet...

Most tantalising!:cool2:

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                    it was Hindemith whom I met
                    Angle, I am amazed by this. Can you reveal the circumstances of this meeting? (In a previous existence I spent an inordinate amount of time studying his operatic output.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                      Angle, I am amazed by this. Can you reveal the circumstances of this meeting? (In a previous existence I spent an inordinate amount of time studying his operatic output.)
                      I was intrigued too! I think Angle suggested a new thread about "composers I have met". Actually, that is rather a good idea. Shall we?

(Didn't know you were a Hindemith expert, Taps! btw I've forgotten who your avatar is: Offenbach? Any particular reason?)

As regards D...

Are we talking Donizetti?

Two of his operas include the name Calais, I can't think of any other musical connection to the prosaic Channel ports...

There is one opera about an elixir... Suggests the renewal of youth thing. I should point out that Donizetti is one of my musical blind spots, and I have never seen or heard any of them except a scene from Lucia di Lammermoor (the original book for which was written in a friend's house )

I'm sure there are dungeons and murderers (Lucrezia Borgia?) aplenty. Surprised you haven't included Emilia di Liverpool, Angle...

But maybe I'm wrong
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 05-04-11, 10:26. Reason: Adding Donizetti disclaimer

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

I think you may be onto something here, Caliban, with Donizetti. Inspired detective work! I had not yet got beyond Janacek's Makropulos, but there are no Ds in sight there.

In fact. I think Donizetti to be very likely indeed. And the Lucia book was written in your friend's house? Your illustrious connections know no bounds!

The "Composers I have met" thread is a nice idea; my list would be very short, though I could provide far more input for a thread entitled "Composers I have nearly met".

(My avatar is Ibsen, though he does share a passion for voluminous facial foliage with Monsieur Jacques O. I chose Ibsen, partially for his individualist approach to hirsuteness and partially for the fact that he may be my favourite writer.) (What a horrible word "hirsuteness" is btw - I would much prefer something like "hirsutery".)
                        Last edited by Tapiola; 05-04-11, 10:07. Reason: afterthought observation on hirsuteness

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Indeed, Makropoulos was my first thought too, on reading the youth thing... As you say, no Ds. As we know, it is still the middle of the night for Angle, so we await an indication later

In the meantime - yes, the Bride of Lammermoor was written by Scott partly at the house (it's more a castle) of a friend whose great (etc) grandfather was a pal of Scott's. The mad scene is supposedly inspired by the drawing room of the house in question, it has a big fireplace (is there something about a fireplace in the original and in the opera? I'm dredging the memory now).

As one who wears a beard, I approve of your reasoning in the matter of hirsutitude, Mr Tapiola

Are you likewise equipped about the chops?

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

Very interesting background to the writing of Lucia, Caliban. I had no idea that you mixed in such elevated circles.

We Tapiolae have recently been a rather conservative lot, with a complete lack of facial surroundings for about three generations. This may be due in part to the erstwhile liberties taken by Great Grand Taps, who sported a lifelong moustachio of Daliesque tendencies.

However, I am subject to intermittent fantasies about cultivating Ibsenian foliage when (or if) old age beckons.

Funnily enough, I had always assumed your own beardlessness (possibly an unconscious physical elision on my part due to the characteristics of your avatar...).

Last edited by Tapiola; 05-04-11, 11:02. Reason: attempt at comprehensible syntax, though still not convinced

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              Funnily enough, I had always assumed your own beardlessness (possibly an unconscious physical elision on my part due to the characteristics of your avatar...).

Yes - I fall into the trap of assuming that people's avatars here bear a physical resemblance to the individuals themselves... Ah, Anna! - yikes scottycelt! ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                Yes - I fall into the trap of assuming that people's avatars here bear a physical resemblance to the individuals themselves... Ah, Anna! - yikes scottycelt! ...
                                Ah Anna, indeed! But bloody hell, mahlerei!

Well from your avatar, you look like a nice boy, Vinteuil...! Do you resemble (who is it?) and do you often stand with your hand on your hip, duckie?

Comment

Working...
                                X