This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Saw that, very interesting - esp the reason for Max's lurid suits. My dad tells me tales of being taken to the variety when young by a racy uncle (it was far too vulgar for his mother )
    I know it sounds really old fashioned but I love those old music hall acts, it seemed such innocent fun didn't it? The innuendos and being saucy.

Edit: Max Miller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm61yavCp-o
    Last edited by Guest; 01-05-11, 23:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I know it sounds really old fashioned but I love those old music hall acts, it seemed such innocent fun didn't it? The innuendos and being saucy.

Edit: Max Miller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm61yavCp-o
      You've got it right on the nail there Anna - Max's clever balance between innocence, sauce and downright bawdy - now you see it, no you didn't

Watch that clip and he's not at all typically 'masculine' for the time but his sight camp is very cleverly done I think - result? Very sexy, slightly naughty and he plays to his gels who shriek with laughter and the men follow. No-one's being patronised, we're all grown-ups here - one of my heroes!!

Note: that clip is from a film so it's all staged but my 90 year old friend who saw Max often told me that the clip was pretty accurate - and if you can, listen to some of his 'live' stuff from The Met - the audience is near-hysterical, the air full of danger and that slight whiff of an audience about to wet itself

Comment

YES, YES, YES !!! Oh, that would have been aniother clue from a famous film.

Anyway, up to Noddington Junction I guess for me. Toot Toot! See you all tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          ...that slight whiff of an audience about to wet itself
          Perfection, Sir! A phrase of your own inventing?

I effing love it!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I also love this

Wilson, Keppel & Betty - 1930s' British Music Hall stars perform their legendary dance routine. Formed in America in 1917, the trio were still going strong i...

Comment

Was that series worth following then, Ofca? Sounds like it! I was snookering and recording Brenda Blethyn in her new detective series...
              First of all Anna offers us a quickie before bed, and then you admit that you've not only been snookering Brenda Blethyn BUT ACTUALLY RECORDING THE WHOLE THING. Honestly....what are you people like?
              (I would certainly recommend 'Exile', which continues tonight and concludes tomorrow, provided you like Paul Abbott's unflinching style. John Simm, Jim Broadbent and Olivia Colman were all excellent in Episode 1).

Comment

I don't consider myself one of the more impatient participants in our little game, but ...is there any likelihood of a new question any time soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                  I don't consider myself one of the more impatient participants in our little game, but ...is there any likelihood of a new question any time soon?
                  Well, still no sign of anton. I set the last and Ams did the K, is rubbers about or is he still recovering after his epic bike ride? Not too sure how many people may be around so how about Caliban giving us one or would you like to volunteer?

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                    Weird isn't it?! I think it's anton who's gone awol? I've forgotten!

Anyway i just watched last night's Corrie, the ludicrous Tracey and the lugubrious Steve on the Blackpool day out from hell...

They really need to get rid of Ken Barlow don't they?! Roache's acting style is mind-numbing - and his son who's just appeared playing Ken's gay grandson () is just as bad, I think....
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 02-05-11, 12:48.

Comment

Well, still no sign of anton. I set the last and Ams did the K, is rubbers about or is he still recovering after his epic bike ride? Not too sure how many people may be around so how about Caliban giving us one or would you like to volunteer?
                      Ooops we posted together, Anna

I can't I'm afraid - off out myself now for an hour or two for luncheon

It'll all pick up when life returns to normal I think. Rubbers has been remarkably quiet - I hope he hasn't tumbled off his velocipede.

Comment

Ooops we posted together, Anna

I can't I'm afraid - off out myself now for an hour or two for luncheon

It'll all pick up when life returns to normal I think. Rubbers has been remarkably quiet - I hope he hasn't tumbled off his velocipede.
                        I'll be away now for a while as well and no time to prepare an L so really it's up to anyone who wants to .....

Enjoy your lunch and remember to report back with full menu please!

Comment

I'll be away now for a while as well and no time to prepare an L so really it's up to anyone who wants to .....

Ooooh yes please, Vicariousness Central demands it!

I've just had some porridge

Comment

It was just a pie and a pint!! I'm easily pleased, you know

Chilly wind out there, despite the beautiful sunshine and blue skies! Now: the snooooooker

Comment

It was just a pie and a pint!! I'm easily pleased, you know
                              Now: the snooooooker
                              A pie and a pint and snooker? Oh well, I suppose it's a bloke thing No-one managed to come up with an L yet I see .......... guess everyone has wandered off to enjoy the sunshine. Silage making here. (I have a passion for tractors!)

Edit: Anyone want a quick L from me?
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-05-11, 16:51.

Comment

While we're waiting, and inspired by Anna's Y, may I offer a Z just for fun?
                                What Z links:
                                (a) Bad behaviour the year Hitler came to power
                                (b) Some really great-sounding fleshy fruit
                                (c) A Queen's Master of Music?

Comment

Working...
                                X