X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back ! haven't read anything BUT finally have power ! electricity that is.....

siggy

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Zimmermann

1. Maiden name of Ethel Merman whose fourth marriage to Ernest Borgnine lasted 38 days and merited only a chapter heading in her autobiography

2. C20 German composer of the ballet "Les Soupers du Roi Ubu"

3. The Zimmermann Telegram was an invitation by Germany to Mexico to declare war on the USA in 1917

Back of the net! (As Alan Partridge would say...)
      o well done, maître rubbernecker - got it in one!

over to you...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        o well done, maître rubbernecker - got it in one!

over to you...
        A most enjoyable question, if I may say so, Vinteuil. I will have to give equal thought to crafting A. How pleasant to be back in alphabetical open waters, again...

Comment

Yes, very impressive, rubberlicker. Had me stumped on all counts.

Go on then, mystify us...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            Don't be disheartened, siggy - it was just too complicated for us poor Brits! And we're all glad you're enjoying looking in at our machinations. But if you do another one, please give us a chance, eh?

---

The second X one, as you said, could have had more than one answer, (I now realise!) though I still think the one I had in mind was, after a google, far more obvious. As we've realised though, what is easy for one is wildly obscure for another. The kids found the same, so I'm told, with the ones I did for them!

Simon, I actually thought that since it airs here in the UK it would be a dead giveaway, that is if you have TV, we don't. But the early years were in California. Where osmosis of TV infiltrated children even when you don't have a tele.

Would have helped had I gotten the animal correct.

So very sorry; not trying to do some obnoxious American attitude here. None what so ever.

kind wishes,
            sigolene euphemia

ps love my new name SIGGY

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Thanks vint - like a refreshing breeze. I found Y all too fraught, and I still don't know who Arthur was (and thankfully now don't need to know). No ideas yet, but I'll work on it, in between my birthday celebrations (don't ask).
              Don Petter,

My apologies.

sigolene

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Yes, very impressive, rubberlicker. Had me stumped on all counts.

Go on then, mystify us...
                What A links a summer hothouse, a 'popular' piece by Sibelius and something arty that came in a box but only lasted for six years

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
                  Don Petter,

My apologies.

sigolene

Siggy - no hard feelings! It was all quite exciting, and we'll be more used to your ways next time.

Comment

What A links a summer hothouse, a 'popular' piece by Sibelius and something arty that came in a box but only lasted for six years
                    As I shall be on the road for the next few hours I won't be able to respond to posts until mid-afternoon.
                    I will proffer a small clue in that the summer hothouse enjoys cool mountain air and nurtures something other than plants...

Comment

Well the only 'A' I have come up with, assisted by the clue, is Attersee for the 'summer hothouse' - one of Mahler's little summer composing houses was just by the Attersee... But I can't hook that up with anything else in the conundrum...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Well the only 'A' I have come up with, assisted by the clue, is Attersee for the 'summer hothouse' - one of Mahler's little summer composing houses was just by the Attersee... But I can't hook that up with anything else in the conundrum...
                        It's not a building, as such. I could chuck Joshua Bell, John Cage, John Cale and Morton Feldman into the mix and see if that helps...

Comment

I think it's some sort of festival, or summer school somewhere.

But I can't find one starting with A, nor do I know any popular piece of Sibelius starting with A either...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                            I think it's some sort of festival, or summer school somewhere.

But I can't find one starting with A, nor do I know any popular piece of Sibelius starting with A either...
                            Snap! That's just about where I've got to ...

Comment

Well, there's the Andante Festivo - not that it's got me anywhere! Might it be it some sort of Association? Or something American (Sibelius did visit America, I believe)?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                                Well, there's the Andante Festivo - not that it's got me anywhere!
                                That had occurred to me, but would we call that popular in his output? Subjective, of course, but I assumed (as in a good crossword clue) that all words were significant, and we want something from the really popular well-known works. Or perhaps something somehow to do with people, as such?

Comment

Working...
                                X