X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it occur in the second act of The Gondoliers by Gilbert and Sullivan? No, only joking of course! I think I am off to bed now,

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Yup next the Pompidou Centre in gay Paree innit

Oh ye of lickle faith

Didn't a regular on this thead used to live in Paris?

Whatisname - that feller - y'know!
      Vinteuil did, as did I. I still go quite regularly for business and pleasure... and my favourite little hotel is just east of the rue Renard end of the Pompidou Centre...

But I've never noticed the Fontaine Stravinsky ...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

a) A lively dance

b) A new slant in your printing

c) Five contemporary musicians altogether

d) A composer associated early on with a musician whose development had been arrested

What G connects them?
        Galliard is a dance and a font and there is the Galliard Quintet (Ensemble) but no idea of (d) or if this is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Galliard is a dance and a font and there is the Galliard Quintet (Ensemble) but no idea of (d) or if this is right.
          Very good Anna!

The Gaillard Ensemble - 'altogether' geddit? Oh i'm sooo proud of that

Re d) A composer associated early on with a musician whose development had been arrested

How might a singer's development have been arrested, say, in times long gone by?

And relate it back to the G word?
          Last edited by Guest; 06-05-11, 11:44. Reason: even more clues if you use google

Comment

Well, obviously a castrato and google throws up a John Galliard who is associated with a castrato called Tosi ....

Comment

Very good Anna!

Gold star

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Well, obviously a castrato and google throws up a John Galliard who is associated with a castrato called Tosi ....
                Well done, Anna - my googling had revealed an association with the famous (infamous?) castrato Farinelli but Tosi will certainly do

Over to you for an haitch, Anna

Comment

Over to you for an haitch, Anna
                  OK, I'll have a think and come back in a while. Did anyone see the film abut Farinelli? (I didn't but it looked interesting from the trailers, can't remember who was in it now)

Comment

"Ooh, Jules, I do like your ensemble"

There was I thinking 'altogether' might be a reference to 'in the altogether' where, it would seem, a lack of ensemble would be more in order.

Comment

Sorry for delay, too much going on here to concentrate so this is hastily cobbed together I'm afraid (and really easy) Which H links:

Elder statesmen both sides of the Pond one whom to be found on domestic duties
                      Many parts but mainly pink
                      Composer of operetta with lots of swashbuckling
                      Hymn inspired by personal loss

Edit: I have to be offline until approx 3.30
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-05-11, 14:16.

Comment

well I'm sure I'm not the only person to think these are Herberts

I'm plumping for

Helena Bonham-Carter's great-grandfather Herbert Asquith
                        Herbert Hoover with his dam and Fishing for Fun and doing a spot of vacuuming
                        Herbert Lom in 6 Pink Panther films
                        Victor Herbert and (possibly) Naughty Marietta
                        Herbert Howells writing the hymn-tune Michael in memory of his 9-year old son (or perhaps Hymnus Paradisi?)

did that say Hymns and Arias earlier? when I googled that it came up with Max Boyce, how appropriate
                        Last edited by mercia; 06-05-11, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          well I'm sure I'm not the only person to think these are Herberts

I'm plumping for

Helena Bonham-Carter's great-grandfather Herbert Asquith
                          Herbert Hoover with his dam and Fishing for Fun and doing a spot of vacuuming
                          Herbert Lom in 6 Pink Panther films
                          Victor Herbert and (probably) Naughty Marietta
                          Herbert Howells writing the hymn-tune Michael in memory of his 9-year old son

did that say Hymns and Arias earlier? when I googled that it came up with Max Boyce, how appropriate
                          Well done, mercia!

I got into Herberts, but nowhere near as securely as you have, and then was thrown by Max Boyce

Comment

I got into Herberts, but nowhere near as securely as you have

Comment

My 'mind' kept referring back to a rather good baker in Bristol called Herbert's

Comment

Well done mercia - a load of Herberts! Goodness knows why I put Hymns & Arias! Yes it was referring to Hymnus Paradisi and even when I changed the clue I forgot to add premiered at a Triple Event, i.e. The Three Choirs Fest. So, all in all, not my finest attempt!! Over to you for an I
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-05-11, 16:06. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X