This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    No squibs round here squire - I am but a stone's throw from the Jubilee & Metropolitan lines
    Why were we led to believe you were from Walthamstow*, then?

(* a 'god-forsaken part of North London')

Comment

Have been pondering this T since about 9.45 this morning and can't get a way in.

- Rather like the conference I have currently been helping to organise (and which has partially explained my enforced absence from this esteemed thread) in a major continental fleshpot and my concomitant frustration in failing to secure invitation thereto.

- Rather like repeated attempts to secure online access (and which has partially explained my enforced absence from this esteemed thread) during a period of Advanced Level/Facebook revision for The Teenager.

Greetings to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        Have been pondering this T since about 9.45 this morning and can't get a way in.
        It's tight, innit?

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        Greetings to all!
        Welcome back, Taps. You're safer here than in those fleshpots

Comment

It is almost 12 hours since I first looked at T and have made no progress.

Is the T musical? Which of the elements, if any, are musical? Am I not paying attention?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            You're safer here than in those fleshpots
            Cheaper too...

Or so I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
              Why were we led to believe you were from Walthamstow*, then?

(* a 'god-forsaken part of North London')
              I'm not responsible for m'learned friend Caliban's more fluorescent flights of geographical fancy, now am I?

Tis Willesden Green here, heavy on the Willesden, light on the Green, and just round the corner from Central Brent Mosque, so not that god-foresken, issit

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                It is almost 12 hours since I first looked at T and have made no progress.

Is the T musical? Which of the elements, if any, are musical? Am I not paying attention?
                ... the T not musical; the three elements are.

Our fellow-boarder Mandryka surely knows Matteo... .

I'm orf to bed - - more clues tomorrow if needed...

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I'm not responsible for m'learned friend Caliban's more fluorescent flights of geographical fancy, now am I?

Tis Willesden Green here, heavy on the Willesden, light on the Green, and just round the corner from Central Brent Mosque, so not that god-foresken, issit
                  Evening all. I'm in the same boat as Taps, I have only been allowed brief visits here by the rather hectic rhythm of this week And in that time, I too have failed to penetrate "T".

Monsieur l'Amateur, I have never led anyone to believe that where you lived was anything but a mecca for the faithful, nor that it was anywhere other than the upper reaches of the Harrow Road. Where on earth Rubbers got the Walthamstow idea from ( "northern"?? and anyway could your header be clearer, Ammy??) is beyond me unless there is some recherché little private witticism that has escaped me.

I'm going to be only an occasional bird of passage here this week I fear. The 7am call on Saturday really upset the carte à pommes of Caliban's nocturnal constitution... and I have to meet a client for breakfast somewhere at 7.30am this Friday

However cordial whatsits all round. No sign of our dear Ofcachap?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

This T is beyond fiendish, but I am going to hazard a guess then retire for the night:

Trigonometry.

EDIT: Matteo Ricci brought trig to China; Ptolemy was an early exponent (he was known as Tolomeo in Handel's Giulio Cesare), and...erm...Hollingsworth contains four letters which spell the word "trig".

I'll get me nightcap...
                    Last edited by Tapiola; 10-05-11, 22:47. Reason: nocturnal meanderings

Comment

Now up a tree in Barking Creek. Good night, all. Sweet dreams

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        Our fellow-boarder Mandryka surely knows Matteo
                        Matteo and Mandryka are both characters in Strauss's Arabella

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          Matteo and Mandryka are both characters in Strauss's Arabella
                          ... getting there! And Matteo's partner (the one he ends up with) in Arabella is??

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            the one he ends up with
                            Zdenka?

Comment

... so we have:

1.) Zdenka/Zdenko in Strauss's Arabella
                              2.) Handel's eponymous hero Giulio Cesare
                              3.) perhaps Robert Hollingworth's take on Giovanni Croce...

Comment

Trouser role/travesti?

Comment

Working...
                                X