This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    That's the one I thought Caliban would get...
    Mea culpa, I didn't know that was the name of his album - and yes, a spot of googling could have helped.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Anna It most certainly would!
      Oh Good! I have felt awfully dim lately, I even thought the language not dead but petrified would lead to Ossified! Then I realised Bach didn't write anything about bones. Actually, Peter Schickele is, in my opinion, totally brilliant.

However, I am hosting a Basque evening (please, no jokes about underwear) so kitchen calls and someone can finish it off. Btw, re Colin Fishwick, have managed this week to keep up to speed. What a silly storyline it is! Incidentally, I have only just got Caliban's joke about Chesney and Tchaikovsky! Very droll.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Incidentally, I have only just got Caliban's joke about Chesney and Tchaikovsky! Very droll.
        Yes, he just subtly drops them in.

I do wish someone would finish this puzzle off as I will be offline in about 20 mins. A bit of wikipedia on the obvious contender should do it!

Comment

Sorry, I'm afraid I now have to leave you to your own devices. Which reminds me, must get some new batteries for mine...

Comment

Sorry, I'm afraid I now have to leave you to your own devices. Which reminds me, must get some new batteries for mine...
            Just take the double AAs from the remote ..... Oh, I dunno, it's all Greek to me.

Comment

I did wonder whether the petrified was a reference to the forest on Lesvos (petrified, but not dead, wood).
              I've just finished watching a DVD of 'A Taste of Honey'. I wonder if the Corrie scriptwriters had Murrray Melvin, who played the part of Rita Tushingham's gay friend/housemate/carer, in mind when they came up with Anthony Cotton/Sean Tully?
              I'm happy to await rubbernecker's decision regarding 'P', as I shall be 'Wallender-bound' (in both senses of the word) shortly.

Comment

I'm not quite sure which answer we're still supposed to be looking for, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                  I'm not quite sure which answer we're still supposed to be looking for, if any.
                  Nor me Ofca, would it be Stravinsky?

Comment

I had Stravinsky 'in the frame' from the off - but didn't (and still don't) know to which part (if any) of the question he might be the answer. Perhaps rubbernecker will explain all when he next logs on.

Comment

Incidentally, I have only just got Caliban's joke about Chesney and Tchaikovsky! Very droll.
                      I wasn't aware of making a joke about it! Just re-read my post, I was just intending to describe the scene I'd just watched... Do explain my joke to me!!!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I have a 'P' ready should it be needed, and should I be entitled to set it (if it's nor or I'm not, it'll keep)
                        Mais, pour l'instant, attendons-nous le jugement de Monsieur Le Badaud (aka Herr Gaffer-Gummihals).

Comment

Oh Good! I have felt awfully dim lately, I even thought the language not dead but petrified would lead to Ossified! Then I realised Bach didn't write anything about bones. Actually, Peter Schickele is, in my opinion, totally brilliant.

However, I am hosting a Basque evening (please, no jokes about underwear) so kitchen calls and someone can finish it off. Btw, re Colin Fishwick, have managed this week to keep up to speed. What a silly storyline it is! Incidentally, I have only just got Caliban's joke about Chesney and Tchaikovsky! Very droll.
                          Oh thanks for reminding me about Peter Schickele, Anna

When I worked in a classical record shop in the City, we would occasionally put on one of his records 'unannounced', like the performance of Beethoven symphony no 5 with sports commentator 'DaDaDa- Daaaaa' 'oh they're off!'. Browsing customers would look around, give a puzzled smile, go back to their browser only to re-emerge secons later, giggling at the silliness emerging from the speakers.

My favourite was PDQ Bach's Schleptet which is musically funny too

Just checked on youtube - mostly live stuff, which doesn't come across as funny as it does on disc

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I wasn't aware of making a joke about it! Just re-read my post, I was just intending to describe the scene I'd just watched... Do explain my joke to me!!!
                            Erm ....... You didn't make a joke, I just read your posting totally wrong! And thought you were being witty

Ofca, I think the Stravinsky refers to a quotation of his perhaps? However, the P certainly is yours.

Comment

OK - if you're sure - here we go:
                              Breaking news:
                              - Prince marries foreigner to clear debts
                              - Elvis Presley enters US charts for the first time
                              - QEH opens on the South Bank

One composition each, please, dating from the years in which these events happened. Two of the three are non-vocal. All three feature the same 'P'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                                OK - if you're sure - here we go:
                                Breaking news:
                                - Prince marries foreigner to clear debts ??
                                - Elvis Presley enters US charts for the first time 1954
                                - QEH opens on the South Bank 1967

One composition each, please, dating from the years in which these events happened. Two of the three are non-vocal. All three feature the same 'P'.
                                Happy to help

Comment

Working...
                                X