X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Anna, and good morning everyone.
    Musically, what B links Arthur, Giuseppe, Hector and Leroy?

Comment

3 hours gone and no nibbles .... might it help if I told you that the four gentlemen in question were respectively English, Italian, French and American?

Comment

only just had a chance to look at this and may have to go offline again soon

is this Bliss, Verdi, Berlioz and Anderson or Jenkins or neither or none of these?

the only Bs in Berlioz's life I can think of immediately are Byron, Benvenuto, Beatrice and Benedict

with Bliss we've got Beatitudes and Belton and Birthday

and there's a Birthday with Leroy Anderson
        Last edited by mercia; 26-05-11, 11:18.

Comment

I have only just begun the day but with such an apparently strong lead coming from Mercia, I shall leave well alone. I wouldn't worry about the delay between setting and a "bite". It seems to take ages, I know, but some stray pike will come along sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
            strong lead coming from Mercia
            not so sure about that

is "stray pike" a clue?

Comment

By 'musically' linked, I mean that each of the four gentlemen concerned composed something that has a particular 'B' as its subject.
              Verdi, Berlioz and Anderson are correct, but you have the wrong Arthur. Three of the four are 'stand-alone' pieces, while the fourth is one of five movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                By 'musically' linked, I mean that each of the four gentlemen concerned composed something that has a particular 'B' as its subject.
                Verdi, Berlioz and Anderson are correct, but you have the wrong Arthur. Three of the four are 'stand-alone' pieces, while the fourth is one of five movements.
                I'm thinking this might be something to do with balls, (of the 'ballo' variety)

Sullivan (the Arthur) wrote an Overture di Ballo and the others all wrote something to with balls

Comment

stumbling blindly

The 5-movement Symphonie Fantastique contains Un bal

oh good, rubbers is here

I can buzz off

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    stumbling blindly

The 5-movement Symphonie Fantastique contains Un bal

oh good, rubbers is here

I can buzz off
                    Bzzz Bzzz.

The Berlioz could equally be Romeo and Juliet

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                      Sullivan (the Arthur) wrote an Overture di Ballo and the others all wrote something to with balls
                      Indeed they did ...please elucidate, as they say!

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                        Indeed they did ...please elucidate, as they say!
                        What, you want me to expose my balls? Oh, all right then.

Arthur Sullivan: Overture di Ballo
                        Verdi: Un Ballo in Maschera (although the Balanchine ballet Ballo della Regina - which I happened to see at Covent garden last night - also uses Verdi's music from Don Carlos)
                        Berlioz: Both the Symphonie and R&J have significant ball movements (must see the doctor about that....)
                        Leroy Anderson: Belle of the Ball

Comment

Well done - a full house, rubbernecker! The Berlioz I had in mind was the 'Scène de bal' from the Symphonie Fantastique. Over to you for a 'C'.

Comment

Thank you, Ofca.

Which C, whose career was interrupted by service and hard labour, ultimately crashed, the death being kept from his mentor?

Comment

Guido Cantelli, the mentor being Toscanini who died shortly afterwards

Comment

Thought you'd buzzed off, Mercia?

Yes, well done. Here is a rare clip of him in action:
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X