X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mercia/anton: yes, I was thinking of 'Donna รจ mobile'(memorably translated by Dennis Nordern as 'My bird's got a scooter'). antongould gets to see 'E' I think. The idea of a 'Donna' question was suggested by Tapiola's reference to 10CC.
    Anna: (a) Northumberland (b) Caliban is probably pretty shell-shocked!

Comment

cheers and where in beautiful Northumberland if a son of that soil may ask?
      And surprise, surprise they have the interweb up there.

Anyway, hopefully, an easy E as Lady Gould is taking us off to hunt for a Fenwicks in Cambridge.

So I think it connects
      Pink Floyd in their Time with
      Parry symphonically and
      Zorro's comeback.

All will be silence from me until this evening so just move on when you get it or if it is found impossible and you feel the urge just F off without me!

Comment

hunt for a Fenwicks in Cambridge
        are you sure there is one ?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          cheers and where in beautiful Northumberland if a son of that soil may ask?
          And surprise, surprise they have the interweb up there.

Anyway, hopefully, an easy E as Lady Gould is taking us off to hunt for a Fenwicks in Cambridge.

So I think it connects
          Pink Floyd in their Time with
          Parry symphonically and
          Zorro's comeback.

All will be silence from me until this evening so just move on when you get it or if it is found impossible and you feel the urge just F off without me!
          We shall be based in Alnwick. It looks as though the weather will be splendid.

Comment

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
            Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
            Hanging on quiet desperation is the English way
            The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say
            (Pink Floyd - Time)

Parry - English Symphony
            googling Zorro comeback gives me a reference to the footballer John Terry making an England comeback after injury, or something
            so I'm going to plump for E = English/England

Comment

excellent as ever Mercia
              The series Zorro Rides Again was co directed by an Englishman called English. You are F!

Comment

oops, nothing to do with football

Comment

F

a DSCH oratorio, a PDQ album and Act II of Siegfried

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    F

a DSCH oratorio, a PDQ album and Act II of Siegfried
                    The only one I know by my avatar alter ego is Song of the F-F-F-Forests....

I don't know the Ring enough to pin it down to an act but I'm thinking Forest Murmurs.

Have no idea (and am posting without recourse to google) about the PDQ album but I'll go with

Forest

anyway....
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Wiki says Forest Murmurs is Act II and Black Forest Bluegrass is PDQ

Comment

yep, well done both of you, Forest it is
                        I guess Cal should take the G (how is rubbernecker these days?)

did you find a Fenwicks in Cambridge, AG?
                        Last edited by mercia; 25-09-11, 05:40.

Comment

Yes Caliban very much deserves the G up.
                          Lady Gould wasn't too upset not to find a Fenwicks as there was a massive John Lewis (always Bainbridges to us on the Tyne) and a host of little fashion outlets.
                          I was on the other hand not pleased that most of the colleges were charging 3 quid just to look round - presumably nearly new Labour will reduce this to 2 pounds!

Comment

Yes Caliban very much deserves the G up.
                            Lady Gould wasn't too upset not to find a Fenwicks as there was a massive John Lewis (always Bainbridges to us on the Tyne) and a host of little fashion outlets.
                            I was on the other hand not pleased that most of the colleges were charging 3 quid just to look round - presumably nearly new Labour will reduce this to 2 pounds!
                            Go to my old gaff, Jesus Coll, Anton - slightly off the beaten track but free to enter and a bit special I think. Went up there with a French visitor a month or so back - sitting on one of the benches in Chapel Court on a sunny Sunday afternoon was a delight which I'd forgotten. I recommend it.

I will work on a G, folks.

Comment

I did Caliban as I was to an extent on a sort of self made Jack Hobbs trail starting at Parkers Piece and hunting out Jesus which was for some reason, possibly for a short break, closed to visitors. Sadly I didn't make Fenners as the curse of the modern age the mobile "went" and I was summoned to carry Lady G's bags! But a lovely city better than Oxford".....................?

Comment

I did Caliban as I was to an extent on a sort of self made Jack Hobbs trail starting at Parkers Piece and hunting out Jesus which was for some reason, possibly for a short break, closed to visitors. Sadly I didn't make Fenners as the curse of the modern age the mobile "went" and I was summoned to carry Lady G's bags! But a lovely city better than Oxford".....................?
                                Sorry to hear that, Anton. Cambridge certainly seems more intimate and pleasant to me than Oxford...

Right.

There's a musical G which should emerge from this:

Gabriel Oak greets Sophie and Octavian hiking through Harlow Carr and Wisley

(I'll be away for an hour or two now)

Comment

Working...
                                X