This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    He's probably away with the green fairy right now.
    Do you know, I have never had Absinthe! Do you really see fairies at the bottom of the garden with it?

Comment

oh, I thought Angle was making a Persil joke

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        oh, I thought Angle was making a Persil joke
        I think he probably was! But, does Persil have a fairy as an emblem? I dunno, I just buy Co-Op own brand! And poor Ofca, probably waiting in the wings with his brand-new L waiting for us to stop whittering on about vint's lunch. And yes, what cheeses were there?

Edit: back to Absinthe, one of my favourite novels by Zola, L'Assommoir which is said to be about to be about it but which is not (Degas' The Absinthe Drinker is on the cover of, I think, the Penguin editions), because the novel only mentions it once.

"Boche had known a joiner who had stripped himself stark naked in the rue Saint-Martin and died doing the polka—he was an absinthe-drinker"
        Last edited by Guest; 27-05-11, 17:26.

Comment

I was referring to absinthe, akshully. But in thinking about Parsley and Persil I thought too about Rinso and Rincette. Never been able to get hold of Absinthe and it's probably just as well, but five or six years ago I was given a home-distilled. illegal, rincette at a farm near Montoire. Wow, what a blast! Just as well I wasn't driving.

Comment

Do you think Ofca's alright? He's been gone a long time. Perhaps someone should go and see.

Comment

Sorry to keep you awaiting - unavoidably and unexpectedly detained. I'll devise an 'L' shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                Do you think Ofca's alright? He's been gone a long time. Perhaps someone should go and see.
                Oh, probably early bath and, you must be clear about this, TWO episodes of Corrie coming up tonight with The Digging Up Of The Drains and ............ Shriek!

Fishwick's remains!! Or not, depends how long they want to spin it out for.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  what's the washing powder bit, persil truffles?

I bet that all sounds dead common in English

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Do you know, I have never had Absinthe! Do you really see fairies at the bottom of the garden with it?
                    Maybe Anna ..

Perhaps...

But if you break wind after taking absinthe, you make a very odd sound, like a Japanese car ...

Because .....

Absinthe makes the fart go "Honda"

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      I think he probably was! But, does Persil have a fairy as an emblem? I dunno, I just buy Co-Op own brand! And poor Ofca, probably waiting in the wings with his brand-new L waiting for us to stop whittering on about vint's lunch. And yes, what cheeses were there?

Edit: back to Absinthe, one of my favourite novels by Zola, L'Assommoir which is said to be about to be about it but which is not (Degas' The Absinthe Drinker is on the cover of, I think, the Penguin editions), because the novel only mentions it once.

"Boche had known a joiner who had stripped himself stark naked in the rue Saint-Martin and died doing the polka—he was an absinthe-drinker"
                      A friend of mine made some absinthe in his rooms in Oxford (I know, such a cLiché)... Got hold of the wormwood, marinated it, etc etc. It was vile but did make your head spin. Being a big chap it didn't make me hallucinate as I only tried a sip, but others who consumed it during a party testified to vivid experiences...

I bought a bottle of this a few New Years back - http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/07/1...he-parisienne/ - it's just like very strong Ricard, and it's not really my thing, that aniseedy taste. I've still got the bottle in the kitchen though - I love the vaguely occult look of the label
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 27-05-11, 19:39. Reason: Very chiche... too chiche... !
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A composer who wrote a march about a famous WW2 exploit; a pianist who can be heard to say the words 'pedal extremities'; and a playwright who often kept Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in work. Each also each wrote a work beginning with L. Who are they, and what is the common title?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          But if you break wind after taking absinthe, you make a very odd sound, like a Japanese car ...

Because .....

Absinthe makes the fart go "Honda"
                          *Groan*

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Chiche? You don't mean Cliche. I thought chiche meant "avoir un pois chiche dans la tête" Pea-brained in other words! Anyway, it's goodnight from me and probably goodnight from him! Bless Him, he is so cute.

OMG, Ofca has a puzzle with a double consonant! Or Contestant.

Oh, Blokes and fart jokes. What is it about that?
                            Last edited by Guest; 27-05-11, 18:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                              A composer who wrote a march about a famous WW2 exploit; a pianist who can be heard to say the words 'pedal extremities'; and a playwright who often kept Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in work. Each also each wrote a work beginning with L. Who are they, and what is the common title?
                              I've got London Suite:

composed by Eric Coates, who also composed The Dambusters' March

written by Neil Simion who wrote for Matthau & Lemmon

The pianist eludes me
                              Last edited by Guest; 27-05-11, 18:33. Reason: italics to make it look pretty & to cheer Anna up after the fart joke LOL

Comment

Fats Waller referred to his "pedal extremities" but where do we go from there.

I was about to ask for clarification : do any or none of the elements in the puzzle begin with L ?

Comment

Working...
                                X