This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Please tell me it was Louis Armstrong - and not Boyzone!!
    Relax - it was Old Satchelmouth! It looks as though you'll have to google the title yourself.

Comment

Here we go my little goslings .....

What H

Was named after a French Revolutionary feast-day

Was a pupil and later a protegé of Cherubini

Wrote a cantata premiered in 1849 which is generally considered to be the first mainstream western orchestral composition to use quarter tones.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        well another fine theory goes West, innit

Toscanini gave his last concert in 1954; Cantelli was killed in 1956, and gave performances of Verdi Requiem in 1955, so prehaps this fits the story better ().

Cantelli was killed in November 1956 and Toscanini died in January 1957, never having been told of Cantelli's death

I'm confused!!!!

Well I must say I enjoyed messages #6643 - 6648 no end, having returned slightly tiddly after a client drinks thing.

I'm so far out of the AA loop what with all the legal nonsense lately. I want to see if I can give Ammy's "H" a run for its money!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Here we go my little goslings .....

What H

Was named after a French Revolutionary feast-day

Was a pupil and later a protegé of Cherubini

Wrote a cantata premiered in 1849 which is generally considered to be the first mainstream western orchestral composition to use quarter tones.
          Good heavens! H-H-H-H-Halévy who I'd vaguely heard of ("La Juive") was called in full Jacques-François-Fromental-Élie Halévy, and the Fromental bit (the first name by which he was generally known) arose from the fact that he was born on 17 May, the feast-day called Fromental in the French Revolutionary calendar which still held sway that year in 1799. He became Cherubini's pupil at the age of 10 and the 'quarter tone' cantata was Prométhée enchaîné

I really shall go to bed (shortly) less stupid thanks to that question.

I guess I have another "I" to set tomorrow....

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Good heavens! H-H-H-H-Halévy who I'd vaguely heard of ("La Juive") was called in full Jacques-François-Fromental-Élie Halévy, and the Fromental bit (the first name by which he was generally known) arose from the fact that he was born on 17 May, the feast-day called Fromental in the French Revolutionary calendar which still held sway that year in 1799. He became Cherubini's pupil at the age of 10 and the 'quarter tone' cantata was Prométhée enchaîné

I really shall go to bed (shortly) less stupid thanks to that question.

I guess I have another "I" to set tomorrow....

Dag-nabbit Caliban, I'd got La Juive lined up as a significant clue, mercia-style

Bravo bravo

Comment

Dag-nabbit Caliban, I'd got La Juive lined up as a significant clue, mercia-style

Bravo bravo
              Sorry to get between you and your Juive in such an unmannerly fashion...

I have an "I" if you would like to have a little Friday flutter:

A literary success by a theatrical knight, a Japanese-set work by someone known for rusticity, and a rich red-sounding person

Comment

is the "rich, red-sounding, person" musical?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  is the "rich, red-sounding, person" musical?
                  Yes vinteuil, indeed - as is element 2 of the question. Element 1 is non-musical.

Comment

well obvi, (as the yoof say... ) - 1 & 2 were easy peasy - but I can get find my way to 3...

Comment

well obvi, (as the yoof say... ) - 1 & 2 were easy peasy - but I can get find my way to 3...
                      Would you care to enlarge on that, as the actress said to the bishop?

Why not spit out 1 & 2 then (which will net you the "J") and someone else can dive in and help with 3 perhaps...?
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 27-05-11, 09:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Why not spit out 1 & 2 then (which will net you the "J") and someone else can dive in an help with 3 perhaps...?
                        well - Iris - the Richd: Eyre take on Ms Murdoch, and the Mascagni opera...

Comment

not Pinero?

I can't get number 3 neither

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            not Pinero?

I can't get number 3 neither
                            mercia - I'm sure you're right - Pinero a much better answer! ...

Comment

well - Iris - the Richd: Eyre take on Ms Murdoch, and the Mascagni opera...
                              Bravo vinteuil - yes Iris is the "I" for the two reasons you state.

I can't see the possible Pinero connection, mercia... Could you explain, just to satisfy my curiosity?

As for the third element: what is a single word for a deep rich red colour? Link it with Iris and you're there

Comment

silly me

Sir Arthur Wing Pinero - Iris, a 5-act play of circa 1901 (apparently)

(Oscar Asche played Maldonado )

I'd like to hear the octopus aria from the opera
                                Last edited by mercia; 27-05-11, 09:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X