X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you got time to apply your massive brain to the E, Anna? I'm stuck, and trying to eat a late lunch at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      Guido's going to exhaust himself if he keeps that up [
      That's the first time I've seen film of him.As you say mercia, he'll not last long without a decent osteopath, hurling himself about like that

For someone whose career was cut so short he used to have a huge reputation but I'd say that it has waned now - 'Guido Who?'.

He was supposed to share Toscanini's passion for the score and to be similarly a raver when things weren't going well. Wasn't there a rehearsal of Verdi 'Requiem' where the enormous drum which Toscanini had ordered should be made according to Verdi's specification was rolled on to the platform and on seeing it, Cantelli burst in tears?

Good story, apocryphal or no

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        I'll post a list up to the A of this round. Am I now forgiven for being waspish?
        Rubbers, Ducks (or should that be RubberDucky - no, we won't go there!) It's your waspishness that is so attractive doncha know? What is there to forgive? Honestly, I really haven't had a chance to look at E and won't for a few hours. Mercia, finish your late lunch and come back to it later refreshed for the next set or maybe Ofca, Ams or Angle may troll past and lob something over the net.

Comment

not sure what I'm looking for in the gallery, something earthy?

a phoenix fire engine? no

Comment

not sure what I'm looking for in the gallery, something earthy?

a phoenix fire engine? no
            I can see this is going to become tedious.

The Sylphs and Nymphs are already there.

Apart from the Promenade, what is the first piece in Pictures?

What creature is associated with fire, apart from a Phoenix?

What is the collective term for the four?

Comment

Cross posting again and I was all at sea again. Well Prometheus stole fire, and he is Creatures from Prometheus I guess. Or not.

Comment

Re. Amateur on Cantelli #6620

His recordings are rare enough, but that clip was a first for me too, which was why I posted it. Why did he burst into tears at the sight of the drum? Was it because it was exactly what was required, or that they had made a bad job of the reproduction?

Comment

Gnomes

Salamander?

sorry about this

elements inhabited by spirits
                  Last edited by mercia; 26-05-11, 17:22.

Comment

It's Elemental my Dear Watson!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      It's Elemental my Dear Watson!!
                      Damn you, Anna! That was going to be my joke!

(Except I was going to say 'Elemental, my dear Mercia')

Gnome, Sylph, Salamander and Nymph are the four creatures identified by Paracelsus as representative of the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water.
                      Montag's fire engine (which created rather than extinguished fires in the Ray Bradbury novel) was known as the salamander. The symbol was also worn on his uniform.

They are the Elementals. A great idea for a cartoon series...

Mercia or Anna for F?

Comment

Anna please for F
                        Last edited by mercia; 26-05-11, 17:23.

Comment

Damn you, Anna! That was going to be my joke!

(Except I was going to say 'Elemental, my dear Mercia')

Gnome, Sylph, Salamander and Nymph are the four creatures identified by Paracelsus as representative of the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

They are the Elementals. A great idea for a cartoon series...

Mercia or Anna for F?
                          Oh, please Sir, Mercia for an F. He did all the work.

He, He. I pinched rubbers' joke. I like that!!

I have an aversion to Pictures. When I was at the exclusive Academy for Daughters of Distressed Gentlefolk we had to stage the tableaux. I was one of the unhatched canaries and those yellow knickers and Rite of Spring style tunics have haunted me all my life. Well done Mercia!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            those yellow knickers and Rite of Spring style tunics have haunted me all my life
                            And do you wear the basque underneath or on top of all that?

Comment

Anna please for F

could I have a re-cap on E please, if it's not too painful

where did the Nymphs come from?
                              is Salamander the fire engine?
                              or was there no fire engine?

oh sorry, just seen that explanation

and undines are known as nymphs, I see
                              Yes, there was Gnomus from Pictures at an Exhibition, a Sylph from Les Sylphides, a Salamander from Fahrenheit 451, and a Nymph in the form of Undine by Henze.

I do try hard to make it interesting, you know

Comment

And do you wear the basque underneath or on top of all that?
                                It depends, what the Basque wants, the Basque gets is my philosophy.

Now mercia did all the work, I have been up since 5.30 (I have witnesses, I posted here at 6.30 am) feel really tired, will be offline, and I only contributed one element (oh, clever pun) so it's definitely mercia for the F but as things are quiet here at the moment, I see no reason to rush, do you?

Comment

Working...
                                X