This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon

Hmm. I'd have managed 1 out of 3 of the Ms too - though the Edward German one, I'm almost ashamed to say, rather than the Sullivan. I might have a root about for that to see if I can find it cheap or free somewhere!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Caliban, well done, you're on N. Take your time...
      It's sunny, doubly-windy but you're not at all put out, you're just daydreaming of a sea trip.. What's the common 'N' ?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        It's sunny, doubly-windy but you're not at all put out, you're just daydreaming of a sea trip.. What's the common 'N' ?
        Puts me in mind of Nielsen's An Imaginary Trip to the Faroe Islands?

Comment

• Don Petter

And Helios? Might be something else in a minute

Comment

• Don Petter

Pan and Syrinx, and I'm A Lad In?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Pan and Syrinx, and I'm A Lad In?
              You're on the right track Don! But these two are not part of it. Two down, three to go!

(I relented at the last minute, at half past midnight, and added the final phrase of the clue - maybe it made it too easy....)

Comment

• Don Petter

You're on the right track Don! But these two are not part of it. Two down, three to go!

(I relented at the last minute, at half past midnight, and added the final phrase of the clue - maybe it made it too easy....)
                Well, two of his concerti were for Flute and Clarinet (doubly windy?).

I have to go out now. We're getting good mileage out of Nielsen between us, anyway.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Well, two of his concerti were for Flute and Clarinet (doubly windy?).

I have to go out now. We're getting good mileage out of Nielsen between us, anyway.
                  Well done Don, one left!!!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Let's see if I can raise the tone with "N".
                    Well, at least try and do so with an N that didn't feature last time round...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                      Well, at least try and do so with an N that didn't feature last time round...
                      Oh really? That must have been during a phase when I was otherwise engaged. You know, back on planet Earth.

Repetition is going to be an increasing factor as this thread continues, not everyone is going to have a compendious memory of previous answers like you rubbers.

As a matter of fact, there is surprisingly little of interest beginning with "N" in the musical sphere, I found. I toyed with two other options but the clues were too obscure I thought.

Oh well. Come on then, finish it off...

Comment

• rubbernecker

Oh really? That must have been during a phase when I was otherwise engaged. You know, back on planet Earth.

Repetition is going to be an increasing factor as this thread continues, not everyone is going to have a compendious memory of previous answers like you rubbers.

As a matter of fact, there is surprisingly little of interest beginning with "N" in the musical sphere, I found. I toyed with two other options but the clues were too obscure I thought.

Oh well. Come on then, finish it off...
                        Don't be put out, Caliban, or should that be "extinguished"?

Comment

• Simon

Don't be put out, Caliban, or should that be "extinguished"?

Rather good, I think! The outtakes are often as good as the questions with you lot!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Rather good, I think! The outtakes are often as good as the questions with you lot!
                            Indeed!

You will be relieved to hear that I am neither choleric nor melancholic, but rather phlegmatic, sanguine and - dare I say it - expansive... (bang goes the next Neilsen "N" question )

Looks like Don has "O" - though it appears he has gone off to attend to real life...

Comment

• Don Petter

Indeed!

You will be relieved to hear that I am neither choleric nor melancholic, but rather phlegmatic, sanguine and - dare I say it - expansive... (bang goes the next Neilsen "N" question )

Looks like Don has "O" - though it appears he has gone off to attend to real life...
                              I'm back! (You call this a life?) At least none of your Neilsen clues overlapped mine from last time round.

I still think Pan and Syrinx (flute and reed) were as good an answer for doubly-windy as the real one.

But I'm not put out either, and it seems I've won by a majority, or maybe for not knowing when to give up, so wait a moment or two while I compose for your communal delectation ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I'm back! (You call this a life?) At least none of your Neilsen clues overlapped mine from last time round.

I still think Pan and Syrinx (flute and reed) were as good an answer for doubly-windy as the real one.

But I'm not put out either, and it seems I've won by a majority, or maybe for not knowing when to give up, so wait a moment or two while I compose for your communal delectation ...
                                You're right... is that what Pan & Syrinx is about? Not a piece I know.

That's enough Neilsen (Ed.)

The alphabetical funsters await with baited breath...

Comment

Working...
                                X