X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    and Orlando was the Marmalade Cat -
    Thank you, Vinteuil. I am relieved to say I am not familiar with this particular literary canon
    The series of children's books by Kathleen Hale, featuring the adventures of Orlando, his wife Grace and their three kittens Pansy, Blanche and Tinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Thank you, Vinteuil. I am relieved to say I am not familiar with this particular literary canon
      http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/folios/orlando.html
      To be honest, I've never read them either, but the title phrase is somehow well ingrained in my subconscious memory.

Comment

well, i'm not completely sure - but the conserve is marmalade, and orlando was the marmalade cat - and then i wonder if the noisy mischief makers might be gibbons - which would give us orlando gibbons - he of the 'silver swan' ?
        bravo !

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          Wiki).

Your 'P', I think.

*Orlando (The Marmalade Cat) is the central character in a series of nineteen illustrated children’s books by Kathleen Hale, published 1938-1972
          We had a couple of the Orlando books when I was a child. I can't remember the stories, but Kathleen Hale's illustrations are marvellous...

Now as for P - I was thinking of two contemporaries - the gentle one wasn't, the other was very briefly - but then perhaps his death kept music alive. And the third P? well, Handel was sure he was correct in incorporating it.

Comment

http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/folios/orlando.html
            Ditto rubbers. It certainly wasn't one of those questions where I go "Ah yes, of course!" on reading the answer.

DP, what on earth did the 'wagon' clue have to do with gibbons?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think I have the P, though only one of the three references without further research. I'll keep quiet, as I don't want this to become a singles match - there are few enough of us involved as it is. I'll PM the inquisitor for confirmation that my P is right.

Comment

there are few enough of us involved as it is.
                Well in a way yes, though there are more who read, if you look. And provided it keeps us out of mischief, it doesn't really matter how many, though I think we should maybe make it clear overtly from time to time that others would be very welcome.

Maybe it is, too, a good idea just to leave an hour or two between tries.

I'd be more active if I could get the answers!!! - - but I probably need choral and organ/piano, or Mozart, to be in with a chance. And of course hardly anything post 1910...

Comment

I was thinking of two contemporaries - the gentle one wasn't, the other was very briefly - but then perhaps his death kept music alive. And the third P? well, Handel was sure he was correct in incorporating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

DP, what on earth did the 'wagon' clue have to do with gibbons?
                    I was trying to help guide you to monkeys as the mischief-makers (Wagonload of...), which might then allow you to consider variants of that simian breed.

Comment

The inquisitor has confirmed my supposition, and is urging me to 'come out', but I really have no idea of two of the references, which look as if they need more subtle knowledge than I possess. I think I'll leave it until later this evening at least, to give other brains a chance to hit on the link.

Comment

there are few enough of us involved as it is.
                        Any idea why that might be - or doesn't it matter that much? Although I like to think I'm pretty bright, and am quite good at solving crosswords - indeed, I used to set one regularly although it wasn't particularly cryptic - I have found myself increasingly out of my depth as regards not only the questions but also the clues that appear to be increasingly necessary.

Comment

The inquisitor has confirmed my supposition, and is urging me to 'come out',
                          Go on Don, you know you want to! I should also like to suggest at this stage that, after the thrilling denouement, we skip Q and move on to R. And also skip X, Y and Z (if this thread doesn't implode up its own fundament before then )

Comment

(Wagonload of...)
                            OH yes! Now you mention it...

I have always hated cryptic crosswords - my brain just isn't wired that way.. The fact that questions here are increasingly becoming exercises in cryptic paraphrase increasingly makes me feel like a bit of a moron!

Comment

And also skip X, Y and Z (if this thread doesn't implode up its own fundament before then )
                              UHHHHHH.hh.h, you do know that I specialize in X and Y ?

siggy

.. .. for those who did not follow along at the conclusion of the alphabet last go round, I placed I. Xenakis and that is NOT music to some only maths, and then the Y as in Yo-Yo Ma. In other words we all became major scrambled up.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                The fact that questions here are increasingly becoming exercises in cryptic paraphrase increasingly makes me feel like a bit of a moron!
                                You aren't the only one! Sadly, things have reached the stage where not only the questions and the answers, but also the supposedly helpful clues, have to be explained - and sometimes the explanations also need to be explained. And some of the questions clearly seem to have more than one valid answer.
                                Still .... if it keeps a few folk happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X