X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 'rim', isn't it? Rimsky, Rimshot and Ri(h)m.

Comment

Good grief, OFCACHAP. Full marks! Well done.

Comment

Here's what I hope proves to be an easy 'S' question:
        He wrote a fantastic early work, and a later work was commissioned by the 'King of Jazz', but his trees weren't actually Scottish.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
          Here's what I hope proves to be an easy 'S' question:
          He wrote a fantastic early work, and a later work was commissioned by the 'King of Jazz', but his trees weren't actually Scottish.
          Well, I guess this is Stravinsky - Scherzo Fantastique and Dumbarton Oaks. I can't quite reconcile the King of Jazz with Woody Herman who commissioned the Ebony Concerto, or Benny Goodman who premiered it (he was the King of Swing)??

Comment

Stravinsky wrote a version of Scherzo a la Russe for Paul Whiteman, who called himself the "King of Jazz"?

I had Dumbarton Oaks, the American house name, but guessed Fireworks, completely wrongly, for fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Stravinsky wrote a version of Scherzo a la Russe for Paul Whiteman, who called himself the "King of Jazz"?
              I thought that was just the name of the film featuring Whiteman, I didn't know he styled himself as such - arrogant tw*t! And I didn't get the Scherzo a la Russe connection, so credit to you, there. Now when do you suppose Ofcachap's coming back....?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                I thought that was just the name of the film featuring Whiteman, I didn't know he styled himself as such - arrogant tw*t! And I didn't get the Scherzo a la Russe connection, so credit to you, there. Now when do you suppose Ofcachap's coming back....?
                No great honour here (if it is correct). I had to Googwik it!

Comment

The works concerned are indeed the Fantastic Scherzo (his Opus 3), the Scherzo A La Russe and Dumbarton Oaks. 'King of Jazz' was in quotes because Whiteman rather arrogantly chose the title himself. As I see it, a couple of people have got 2 right out of 3, so I'll leave you to decide who sets the 'T' question.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                    As I see it, a couple of people have got 2 right out of 3, so I'll leave you to decide who sets the 'T' question.
                    That'll be me and me, then.

Where there's a will, there's a cloak and a nun. What T unites them?

Comment

Sorry for any confusion - it was late, and I have a cold!

Comment

Where there's a will, there's a cloak and a nun. What T unites them?
                        ... I have done a U question before, so I'm not going to claim this one...

Comment

rubbernecker,

Are there anagrams involved in "T"?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... I have done a U question before, so I'm not going to claim this one...
                            Perhaps you could PM me with the answer to assure me you are not bluffing? It would also help assure me I have not made the question too difficult

EDIT: Happy to report Vinteuil is there
                            Last edited by Guest; 19-01-11, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              rubbernecker,

Are there anagrams involved in "T"?
                              No, nothing cryptic, no wordplay. It's one you either know or you don't, although opera buffs will have an advantage.

Comment

It's one you either know or you don't, although opera buffs will have an advantage.
                                I don't and I'm not :cool2:
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X