X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yevgeny? (I've already wandered down that track, but it seemed to peeter out quite quickly).

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
      Yevgeny?
      excellent. well done

Yevgeny Nesterenko, won Viotti Gold Medal 1981 for Boris Godunov
      Yevgeny Svetlanov, accomplished pianist as well as conductor
      Yevgeny Mravinsky, refused to premiere Shostakovich's 13th Symphony in 1962, which apparently soured their friendship

because I went backwards in the alphabet and doversoul set an A question, the next letter is actually B

Comment

Yes, what about Friday's Corrie? I found it more than a little contrived - such a shame after the sustained brilliance of the previous five days. It rather put me in mind of the ending(s) of a certain Haydn String Quartet.

A minor quibble from earlier in the week. In a tension-filled scene in which John is trying to persuade Fiz to help him, he asks her whether the material he's found is strong enough for the nefarious deed they are about to perpetrate:

"Help me here, Fiz, you know about these things - tensile strength..." (my italics). I didn't realize Fiz had been studying textile engineering while waiting for him to come home from his various disappearances.

The Steve/Becky/Max/Amy storyline, on the other hand, seemed just about pitch-perfect throughout. If I'm not careful, I shall start feeling just a little bit sorry for Becky, so good is Miss Kelly's acting. Do you think somebody's got a copy of 'The Shining' in their DVD collection?
        A non-computer weekend did however feature the Corrie omnibus - agree with all the above (save that the Haydn parallel did not occur to me ). Becky with the sledgehammer was magnificent and I thought the implausibility of John/Colin doing a disappearing act after his fall was compensated for by the spooky frisson of the wounded loony still being on the run. I also thought that it was rather effective for him to be quoting Shakespeare and reading Milton, as befits a baffled psychotic schoolteacher....

Most impressed with progress here (I'd have got the Yevgeny if I'd read it in time ) and delighted that the artist formerly known as Lady-Dover-hyphen-Sole is among us
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          doversoul set an A question
          there doesn't seem to be a "huff" emoticon

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            there doesn't seem to be a "huff" emoticon
            Surely a emoticon or even a is appropriate to welcome enthusiastic new participants!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

o and and soyez la bienvenue to l'Âme-de-Douvres, mais bien sûr!!

my huffitude proceeds elsewhence...

Comment

Have I done enough to set 'B'? All I did was google the correct Christian name...still, I'll devise a 'B' if that is the general wish.

Comment

Which small British resident beginning with 'B' inspired an American songwriting team in the year of the General Strike, a British songwriting team in the year a Labour foreign secretary resigned, and Mr R C Waldron in the year a fox was convicted of spying? The linking word occurs in all three elements, all of which are musical.

Comment

Mr R C Waldron.
                    ... ah yes, which of us can forget his great work: "Abomasal and duodenal motility in yearling cattle after administration of prokinetic drugs"
                    A J Roussel, G W Brumbaugh, R C Waldron and A N Baird Department of Large Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University,

Comment

... ah yes, which of us can forget his great work: "Abomasal and duodenal motility in yearling cattle after administration of prokinetic drugs"
                      A J Roussel, G W Brumbaugh, R C Waldron and A N Baird Department of Large Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University,
                      'Every day I learn something, Mr. Fawlty!' However, we're concerned with a smaller creature, are we not? At least, I hope that's the impression I've given....

Comment

'Every day I learn something, Mr. Fawlty!' However, Ronald Charles Waldron was inspired by a smaller creature.
                        EDIT: I'm not sure how that happened - but this and the previous message should bring you nearer to our linking word.

Comment

mercia
                          It was vinteuil who set A.

Caliban
                          and delighted that the artist formerly known as Lady-Dover-hyphen-Sole is among us
                          If by any chance you are referring to me, I am afraid I am a commoner and hopeless at art. Sorry to disappoint you. I usually lurk around in the Early Music pond.

Another mercia’s post
                          heavens to murgatroyd, is that some sort of prescription drug?
                          sorry you've had problems with my question. try typing Viotti gold medal winner in a search engine. it should bring up a Y
                          has disappeared. Is it just on my computer?
                          Last edited by doversoul1; 07-06-11, 17:36.

Comment

Re. #7200 (doversoul): it seems to have disappeared from mine, too, other than as a quote...very strange...

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                              mercia

Another mercia’s post

has disappeared. Is it just on my computer?
                              Mercia does sometimes seem to go back and delete earlier posts. I think this should be discouraged - because it often makes subsequent posts which refer to the original, now-deleted, post baffling or meaningless.

If we want to amend an earlier post, I think we should go back and write EDIT followed by any desired changes - but leaving the original text untouched.

Comment

Well I'm sure it is a fine work, vinteuil but does it have the same capacity to inspire and inform as Lord Emsworth's much-loved favourite "Whiffle on the Care of the Pig"?

Comment

Working...
                                X