X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Wow, reeling here on a flying visit...

Rather than Tintin, Ams you are turning into the Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of the AA thread - slaying champions with power and precision

Buena siesta
    Muchos grassyarse, Caliban How relieved I am to receive the Jo-Wilfried Tsonga association rather than the Miserable Murray accolade. Still we can't complain - old Tim never came back from 0-2 did he & Mr Miserable is nothing if not a scrapper. With Nadal having a poorly foot and now Federer having been bundled out this arvo, well surely the Scottish Scowler has a rare opportunity to hit the big time?

But mercia's your man - I am but the Ted Dexter, the occasional flash of inspiration, as compared to the Geoffrey Boycott of mericia's consistent grinding presence: no clue is safe, especially if the setter cracks and foolishly offers a clue. Then mercia is on it in a flash, like a quick Intikhab Alam 50 off a tiring spin attack and the puzzle is over in a flash

Comment

yeah, I liked the bit about copying Israel in Egypt onto loo paper and those famous people petitioning for him not to be sent to Australia, but too late .............. anyway ..................nowhere near as interesting as S ..............

a T to connect

- a violin concerto by Karl Amadeus
      - a short viola & orchestra piece written & premiered on the same day
      - a 'homotonal' symphony partly performed at the composer's funeral

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        mericia's consistent grinding presence

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          Twas meant as a plaudit, young mercia No-one works harder than you in making this board the success that it is, be it in answering the question setter's call or setting another bamboozler. And as I say, sometimes there is a flash of inpiration to set us all agog with admiration

Comment

yeah, I liked the bit about copying Israel in Egypt onto loo paper and those famous people petitioning for him not to be sent to Australia, but too late .............. anyway ..................nowhere near as interesting as S ..............

a T to connect

- a violin concerto by Karl Amadeus
            - a short viola & orchestra piece written & premiered on the same day
            - a 'homotonal' symphony partly performed at the composer's funeral
            A violin concerto by Karl Amadeus Hartmann Concerto funebre for violin and string orchestra (1939, rev. 1959) (originally entitled Musik der Trauer)

Trauermusik is a suite for viola and orchestra, written on 21 January 1936 by Paul Hindemith at very short notice in honour of King George V of the United Kingdom, who died the previous night.

That's as far as I've got but I shall plug away at the third element after dinner, working on the assumption that 'trauer' is the correct answer .... unless someone else would like a go?

Comment

Trauer

cripes that was quick ................. you may even know a Trauer Symphony

anyway, that's me done for today, thanks for the fun and education

Comment

Trauer

cripes that was quick ................. you may even know a Trauer Symphony
                Cheers, mercia!

The Symphony No. 44 in E minor, Hoboken 1/44, was completed in 1772 by Joseph Haydn. It is popularly known as Trauer (English: Mourning). Late in life, Haydn asked for the slow movement of this symphony to be played at his funeral. Since all of the movements have the same tonic, the work is homotonal.

I'll slip away & try to assemble a suitable U

Comment

Eyes down for your actual U, Jules ....

What U

Was born in Kiev but taught initially in Toronto and then in Dallas, Texas

Robbed a blind man on the toss of a coin

Was noted for his Chopin and Liszt solo works but his recording of Brahms B flat concerto forms part of the recorded legacy of a Dutch conductor, cellist and composer who spent 11 years of his career working in Australia

Comment

here we are again, is it just thee and me?

all these interesting people you know, this time Alexander Uninsky 1910-1972. I should think the blind Mr Ungar was livid to lose that prize in such a way. I'm afraid I hadn't heard of Uninsky but I have heard of Willem van Otterloo, the conductor of that Brahms recording. I wonder if his fatal car crash involved a kangaroo. I note too that he married and divorced the same woman twice which is quite an achievement in itself.

Comment

here we are again, is it just thee and me?

all these interesting people you know, this time Alexander Uninsky 1910-1972. I should think the blind Mr Ungar was livid to lose that prize in such a way. I'm afraid I hadn't heard of Uninsky but I have heard of Willem van Otterloo, the conductor of that Brahms recording. I wonder if his fatal car crash involved a kangaroo. I note too that he married and divorced the same woman twice which is quite an achievement in itself.
                      Bravoo---oooo mercia - tip-top as my Taid used to say

Dorothy Parker married the same man twice as I recall ... and each time he was gay Now there's mistakes and there's MISTAKES

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Now there's mistakes and there's MISTAKES
                        a succinct summary

a convoluted V to connect

Scriabin's son-in-law, Giulio's Ave Maria and at least two pupils of Szymanowski's uncle

Comment

Evidence Alexander Uninsky's art:

Upload by http://twitter.com/otterhouseFree dowloadable at: http://www.europarchive.orgFranz Liszt - Études d'exécution transcendante d'après PaganiniBravour...

Comment

thanks for that am. obviously a considerable virtuoso, I hadn't heard that Busoni arrangement before.

Comment

Going out now & may not be able to log on again until this evening.

Come along AA gang, let's be having you!

Comment

Vladimir Vavilov?

Comment

Working...
                                X