This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hercule
    is the composer British or foreign, please?!?!?
    Foreign

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
      is it important for us to decide which play?
      The relevant musical reference only occurs in one play.

Comment

Is it Visions?

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
          Is it Visions?
          No. What is musical about visions?

Comment

My apologies...missed the musical link. Thought I had it cracked with Viola....Shakespeare has a character Viola in Twelfth Night. Ruth Gipps is a female composer who wrote Jane Grey, Fantasy for Viola and String Orchestra, and Jane Grey, wife of Henry VIII was beheaded... as a queen does she count as a monarch? Only Ruth Gipps is British.

Time for bed.

Comment

Viol? Shakespeare Viola, Anne Boleyn played and composed for the viol, Violet Archer Canadian composer

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Tree View Post
                Viol? Shakespeare Viola, Anne Boleyn played and composed for the viol, Violet Archer Canadian composer
                Right play, but the link is explicitly musical. Anne Boleyn was not a monarch. All three are linked to the same thing.

Comment

I have just sped read Twelfth Night! I've tried 'finding' words beginning with V with no luck. Voice appears many times but somehow does not seem right and too broad a term.

Virginal comes to mind but linkage is again tenuous. Elizabeth 1 was The Virgin Queen and beheaded Mary. Is there the pretence of virginity or assumed virginity in Twelfth Night? And there are a few female composers called Virginia and I'm sure there will be other female composers who either play or have written for the virginal.

Another clue, methinks.

Comment

Another clue, methinks.
                    The composer is early seventeenth century and features in a portrait. And I did say the monarch was British.

Comment

Many European courts had viola da gamba players in the 17th and 18th centuries. Charles I, King of England (beheaded) was reputed to be proficient enough on the bass viol to contribute a strong voice when playing with his favorite musicians.

The Viola da Gamba Player (»Gambenspielerin«), c. 1630-1640, (Gemäldegalerie, Dresden) by Bernardo Strozzi, believed to be of Barbara Strozzi, female composer

Viola - the character in Twelfth Night.

EDIT: Sir Andrew Aguecheek plays the viola da gamba...

SIR TOBY:
                      Fie, that you'll say so! he plays o' the viol-de-gam- boys, and speaks three or four languages word for word without book, and hath all the good gifts of nature.
                      Last edited by Guest; 24-12-10, 14:20.

Comment

Many European courts had viola da gamba players in the 17th and 18th centuries. Charles I, King of England (beheaded) was reputed to be proficient enough on the bass viol to contribute a strong voice when playing with his favorite musicians.

The Viola da Gamba Player (»Gambenspielerin«), c. 1630-1640, (Gemäldegalerie, Dresden) by Bernardo Strozzi, believed to be of Barbara Strozzi, female composer

Viola - the character in Twelfth Night.

EDIT: Sir Andrew Aguecheek plays the viola da gamba...

SIR TOBY:
                        Fie, that you'll say so! he plays o' the viol-de-gam- boys, and speaks three or four languages word for word without book, and hath all the good gifts of nature.
                        Got there at last. Well done.

Comment

That was devilishly hard!

OK, W.

What role connects a high-street trader, an aquatic mammal and part of a road?

Comment

Not sure I want to enter this section, in view of the next letter, but do we assume there is some musical connection within?
                            Last edited by Guest; 24-12-10, 15:08. Reason: Typo

Comment

Ah! This has to involve Anne Sofie von Otter, surely!

But as to roles - she's done so many, and I'm no opera buff.

But hang on. Janet Baker, too... Is there a singer called Macadam?

Right lines, bts?

Comment

Damn....thought it would take longer for you guys to get on the right threads.. Simon is well on the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X