X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Aribert Reimann

PS No googling required, honest guv.... I got the LPs of "Lear" out of the library when first feeling my way in classical music in the late 70s... Took it straight back, didn't get on with it at all, but I remember seeing Grillparzer referred to in the booklet (friends doing German A Levels at the time were knee-deep in Grillparzer)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      One of my great loves at the moment, especially When David Heard, but no... try to focus on the letter R
      Right on ~

Comment

PS No googling required, honest guv.... I got the LPs of "Lear" out of the library when first feeling my way in classical music in the late 70s... Took it straight back, didn't get on with it at all, but I remember seeing Grillparzer referred to in the booklet (friends doing German A Levels at the time were knee-deep in Grillparzer)
        Caliban, how very heartwarming to see you pitching up, and pitching in, here. Welcome to our pretentious little enclave. Aribert Reimann, composer, pianist, general bon viveur, CORRECT. Now you have to come up with an S poser.

Comment

Caliban, how very heartwarming to see you pitching up, and pitching in, here. Welcome to our pretentious little enclave. Aribert Reimann, composer, pianist, general bon viveur, CORRECT. Now you have to come up with an S poser.
          Lawks. OK let me have a think. I'll try not to lower the tone.

Comment

Now you have to come up with an S poser.
            OK folks here you go.

What S connects George Frideric Handel, Felix Mendelssohn and Bernard Hermann?

Comment

OK folks here you go.

What S connects George Frideric Handel, Felix Mendelssohn and Bernard Hermann?
              I think I'm there, Serpent? (as in the musical instrument)

Comment

I think I'm there, Serpent? (as in the musical instrument)
                My clue was going to be to add Haydn, Berlioz and (in the movie field with Mr Herrmann - forgive mis-spelling above) Jerry Goldsmith also share the same S.

Yup - all wrote parts for the Serpent.

Anyone for T
                ?

Comment

My clue was going to be to add Haydn, Berlioz and (in the movie field with Mr Herrmann - forgive mis-spelling above) Jerry Goldsmith also share the same S.

Yup - all wrote parts for the Serpent.

Anyone for T
                  ?
                  Good question, Caliban. That's what makes this a compulsive thread. I would probably have chosen the Sarrusophone myself and given Maurice Ravel, Frank Zappa and Mickey Mouse as the clues, but no matter...

What T connects Handel, Vivaldi and Myslivecek?

Comment

Trios for Flute, Viola and Cello?

Comment

Good question, Caliban. That's what makes this a compulsive thread. I would probably have chosen the Sarrusophone myself and given Maurice Ravel, Frank Zappa and Mickey Mouse as the clues, but no matter...

Dammit, Sarrusophone is what I was trying to remember last night, before I settled for Serpent! We saw one at the Proms in the summer, I even did some research about it afterwards - but could I remember the word? Nope! But maybe it would have been a little abstruse even for the contorted minds at work on this thread...

Comment

This thread is so good and I stumble alone silently, but now I will give it a go - no googling - I am googled out - and try to place replys, just be gentle in the corrections, please.

In my memory at the Santa Fe opera when I ushered these three are tied by an opera.

~s

Comment

... might it be Tamburlaine? - all three wrote 'Tamerlano' operas...

Comment

Yes, Sigolene, they are tied by an opera. You should have had the courage of your convictions and googled! As it was vinteuil got there: all three wrote operas based on Tamburlaine the Great. How lovely it must have been to work at the Santa Fe opera...

Comment

Yes, Sigolene, they are tied by an opera. You should have had the courage of your convictions and googled! As it was vinteuil got there: all three wrote operas based on Tamburlaine the Great. How lovely it must have been to work at the Santa Fe opera...
                              Now I feel churlish! Sigolene - would you like to have a go?

If not - what U connects a motor-car city, a motor racing circuit, and a fraternal string quartet?

Comment

vinteuil

yes, i'll have a go i have the neighbor's lap dog in my lap and my bath water drawn, so i'll think and be back ....

i want to say and you'll say O! she's daff but

there is the Unser family of car racing and Junior has an adobe wall studded with those very special wheels... and a quartet.... well the Romero family

~s

Comment

Working...
                                X