X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    Is it "No-Ball"?

Obviously it is a cricket term. "Hitler Has Only Got One Ball", sung to the tune of the "Colonel Bogey March", officially has ten variants on the original version, credited to Toby O'Brien, which reads - "Göring has only got one ball/Hitler's [are] so very small/Himmler's so very similar/And Goebbels has no balls at all".

Either this or "neoclassicism".
    Interesting, but wrong. I would normally wait 24 hrs before posting another clue, but since you have an itchy trigger finger (and have jumped the gun by posting an O question) here's another.

I asked what N links 10 composers with cricket, but perhaps I meant critic?

Come on, now.

Comment

Which four hundred and sixty-one words beginning with 'pre' best describe this thread? (No further clues will be provided.The time limit for answering this question is 8 months).
      Come on, now!

Comment

It's certainly "stumped" me. Perhaps Simon could rule rubbernecker's N question invalid as there were only two links at the outset. Surely it's not meant to be the sort of quiz thread where you have to wait 24 hours for a clue!

Alternatively, perhaps it's time to start an Alphabet Association for Dummies thread?
        Last edited by pilamenon; 20-12-10, 10:10. Reason: mishtake

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          Interesting, but wrong. I would normally wait 24 hrs before posting another clue, but since you have an itchy trigger finger (and have jumped the gun by posting an O question) here's another.

I asked what N links 10 composers with cricket, but perhaps I meant critic?

Come on, now.
          Well - too easy now, I'm afraid. Neville Cardus!

Damn. Now I've got to think of an O, and the one I've got ready is for S - Give me a moment or three ...
          Last edited by Guest; 20-12-10, 10:50. Reason: Codicil

Comment

Can you explain the 10 composers bit, Don?

Comment

Do I have to wait for rubbernecker to give confirmation and drop the Union Jack? I think I'd better.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                Can you explain the 10 composers bit, Don?
                One of his best known musical writings was a book called 'Ten Composers', I believe.

Yup. 1945 (translated into Japanese in 1964)
                Last edited by Guest; 20-12-10, 11:06. Reason: Back after a quick Wiki

Comment

I knew that adding 'critic' would make it too easy, but then I needed to appease the various complainers. Indeed, yes, Neville as in Cardus. Music critic, cricket writer and author of Ten Composers. Chequered flag duly waved, congratulations Don. Hit us with O

Comment

This won't detain you all long, I suspect:

What O had triumphs, and with second thoughts later ran out of time with his school work?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      This won't detain you all long, I suspect:

What O had triumphs, and with second thoughts later ran out of time with his school work?
                      Oriana?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        Oriana?
                        Nope. (taciturn Western mode).

Comment

Oh no. I got it wrong and missed all the fun this morning. What do I do about my "O" question? Shall I just provide the answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            Oh no. I got it wrong and missed all the fun this morning. What do I do about my "O" question? Shall I just provide the answer?
                            You could keep it until N comes round again and have another go? (Not serious, just my joke.)

It looked pretty tough to me, so I'd say tell us the answer - promise we'll all applaud.

Comment

The same could be said for your 'O' question - the one that wasn't supposed to detain us that long. Then you - or LateralThinking1 - or somebody - could set a 'P' question that somebody might have a chance of answering this side of Christmas (2010).

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                                The same could be said for your 'O' question - the one that wasn't supposed to detain us that long. Then you - or LateralThinking1 - or somebody - could set a 'P' question that somebody might have a chance of answering this side of Christmas (2010).
                                I didn't think it would be that obscure, given the combined knowledge here. (I would say less obscure than Neville Cardus.) Anyway, it being Monday, I thought I'd at least leave things into the evening, when more readers might be on line. I am trying to remember what it was like to be working during the day!

Comment

Working...
                                X