This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    OK. It is Carl Orff. Carmina Burana, Catulli Carmena and Trionfo di Afrodite were collectively titled Trionfi. Orff is also known for his Schulwerk.
    Quite right - The answer is Orff.

Carl Orff completed Trionfi (Triumphs) in 1953. Later he revised both his opera De Temporum Fine Comoedia (A Play of the End of Time), and Schulwerk (School Werk, or Music for Children).

Thanks, scb, for relaunching us.

Comment

I do assure you all - absolutely no agenda other than the one stated! A bit of interesting fun, with the opportunity to think and learn, was what I intended.

I don't want to get the P one, as Q will be a tough one to set. But one's mind drifts towards cathedral music ... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        one's mind drifts towards cathedral music ... :-)
        That seems to be drifting in the right direction.

Comment

... towards Parry, who was at Eton.

The thing is, he was certainly never at York, wherever else he may have been. So that's wrong.

I wonder if his Pair of sirens went that way.

Comment

I don't want to get the P one
            Please save the X and the Z for me.....I've already got the answers to the R, S and T, and I'm working on the U - but I don't want to spoil it for the others.

Comment

But one's mind drifts towards cathedral music ... :-)
              That's the flavour I detected, choral or organ, perhaps, but Maidstone? This seems the antithesis of such thoughts. Perhaps someone was born, or raised, or first worked there, and later came good?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                That's the flavour I detected, choral or organ, perhaps, but Maidstone? This seems the antithesis of such thoughts. Perhaps someone was born, or raised, or first worked there, and later came good?
                Getting warm. When I lived in the area Maidstone was not a cultural desert.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                  Getting warm. When I lived in the area Maidstone was not a cultural desert.
                  No offence intended. You aren't the phantom P are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    No offence intended. You aren't the phantom P are you?
                    No. My musical route was Maidstone to Oxford and then nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
                      Philip (Moore) (If this is correct can I pass on providing the next question, please, please, please?!)
                      Your answer is correct. Educated Maidstone Grammar School (same year as my brother, three years above me). Assistant Organist, Eton College. Assistant Organist, Canterbury Cathedral. Director of Music, Guildford Cathedral. Director of Music, York Minster.

Take your time over providing the next question.

Comment

Originally posted by hercule
                        Oh well, if you insist, this will take you no time at all.

What Q connects Alun Hoddinott, Peter Schickele and Glenn Gould? (one-word answer)
                        I feel a bit of a heel, but have stayed my hand for over an hour now, Quodlibet. (Fish, barrel, googlegun...)

Comment

A Quodlibet is basically a mish-mash of popular melodies combined in one piece of music. Hoddinott did it with Welsh folk tunes, Peter Schikele (aka the American musical humorist PDQ Bach) wrote a Quodlibet for small orchestra and Gould used to improvise a piece using the US and British national anthems.

Bach uses a similar technique in the final Variation 30 of the Goldberg Variations, with snatches of popular folksong.

What R (a musician) has embraced Franz Grillparzer, e.e.cummings and King Lear?

Comment

Eric Whitacre ?

Comment

Originally posted by sigolene euphemia View Post
                              Eric Whitacre ?
                              One of my great loves at the moment, especially When David Heard, but no... try to focus on the letter R

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post

What R (a musician) has embraced Franz Grillparzer, e.e.cummings and King Lear?
                                Aribert Reimann
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X