X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent Don. The answer was, of course, "One Two Three". First, the Missa Solemnis in D Major, Op. 123, which was considered by critics to be missing the sustained exploration of themes through development that is one of Beethoven's hallmarks.

Then, the "dashing" sixties hit which was 1-2-3, sung originally by Indian-culture obsessed Len Barry, much later covered by Catatonia's Cerys Matthews.

Finally, to the record that is of importance to all FoR3 members. Go to the home page and you will find that the highest number of viewers of the forum to date is 123. (30-11-10 at 12:59).

Of course, it might have been easier if I had mentioned Dusty Bin, a feature of the 3-2-1 game show that was hosted by former Butlins Redcoat Ted Rogers. As everyone knows, it was based on a Spanish gameshow called "Un, dos, tres... responda otra vez" - so that was really 123 too.
    Last edited by Guest; 20-12-10, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Excellent Don. The answer was, of course, "One Two Three". First, the Missa Solemnis in D Major, Op. 123, which was considered by critics to be missing the sustained exploration of themes through development that is one of Beethoven's hallmarks.

Then, the "dashing" sixties hit which was 1-2-3, sung originally by Indian-culture obsessed Len Barry, then much later covered by Catatonia's Cerys Matthews.

Finally, to the record that is of importance to all FoR3 members. Go to the home page and you will find that the highest number of viewers of the forum to date is 123. (30-11-10 at 12:59).

Of course, it might have been easier if I had mentioned Dusty Bin, a feature of the 3-2-1 game show that was hosted by former Butlins Redcoat Ted Rogers. As everyone knows, it was based on a Spanish gameshow called "Un, dos, tres... responda otra vez" - so that was really 123 too.

It's easy when you show us how, but I don't think I'd have got that by Christmas 2011. My O is more consistently (classical) musical - that's not a complaint, more of a slight guide, perhaps.

Comment

You mean this isn't the "Round Britain Quiz"? Sorry, got the wrong door.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          My O is more consistently (classical) musical - that's not a complaint, more of a slight guide, perhaps.
          And it is easily solved with the aid of on-line Grove.

Comment

Yes - congrats on the clever conundrum Lat - and congrats to those who have done so well with the answers.

I had intended, intitially, that these little questions should be from our minds, rather than from research, which is probably why my first was easy. That's the level that I thought would be amusing for most of us - and we could always get harder next time around, if we want to go that far.

Perhaps we could try to produce some questions that are suitable for those with a less broad sweep of musical experience, such as me? or, at least, give an extra clue or two?

bws to all

S-S!

Comment

Yes, that sounds good, Simon. Will do. I thought the official "O" question was good too.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                And it is easily solved with the aid of on-line Grove.
                I expect you are right. Over to you to try your solution when you wish, but should we let it run into the evening a bit?

It is difficult to judge what level to pitch to keep everyone happy, or even at what level one's own offering is anyway. As they keep telling us - it's easy if you know, not if you don't.

Comment

I expect you are right. Over to you to try your solution when you wish, but should we let it run into the evening a bit?
                  I was intending to let it run on for a while to give others the chance to set the next question.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                    Yes - congrats on the clever conundrum Lat - and congrats to those who have done so well with the answers.

I had intended, intitially, that these little questions should be from our minds, rather than from research, which is probably why my first was easy. That's the level that I thought would be amusing for most of us - and we could always get harder next time around, if we want to go that far.

Perhaps we could try to produce some questions that are suitable for those with a less broad sweep of musical experience, such as me? or, at least, give an extra clue or two?

bws to all

S-S!
                    The trouble is, as rubbernecker said some way back 'Google can often be the question setter's undoing, hence the need to be a little cryptic', not to mention on-line Grove, which looks as if it may be my undoing. It is a difficult balance, but in the spirit of your launch, perhaps we could be a little more lenient in the future, with presumably a faster turnover.

Comment

I was intending to let it run on for a while to give others the chance to set the next question.
                      Egad, Sir - A sporting gent indeed!

Comment

perhaps we could be a little more lenient in the future, with presumably a faster turnover.
                        I'm beginning to suspect that this whole thread is a brilliant exercise in self-parody. If it isn't, it's in serious danger of coming across as patronising as well as pretentious.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          I'm beginning to suspect that this whole thread is a brilliant exercise in self-parody. If it isn't, it's in serious danger of coming across as patronising as well as pretentious.
                          I don't think it is either. The problem, as always, is that different people want different things. Some want real cryptic puzzles that stand a chance of not being solved by a quick Google, and others want an easier level. Since Simon had the idea to start the whole thread, and tells us that he saw it as a relatively easy quiz that more people could answer and move on quickly to the next letter, why not fall in with his wishes?

Comment

I agree with Don.

Comment

scb,

There's been no activity this evening while I've been out, so I suggest you reveal your answer when you are next on line.

Comment

OK. It is Carl Orff. Carmina Burana, Catulli Carmena and Trionfo di Afrodite were collectively titled Trionfi. Orff is also known for his Schulwerk.

Is this any simpler for the next question? It is intended to appeal to some regular contributors.

What P made the journey from Maidstone to York via Eton, Canterbury and Guildford?

Comment

Working...
                                X