X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      It is one of the handful of well-known settings and the arranger appears on that website.
      Is it Luther?

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
        Is it Luther?
        When did Luther perform with Mendelssohn?

Comment

After the inextinguishable music of (Carl)Neilsen
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Right, this is my last go at this one.

Liszt.

Arranged the Stabat Mater. Composed a piano version of La Marseillaise. Performed with Mendelssohn in Leipzig.

Comment

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
              Right, this is my last go at this one.

Liszt.

Arranged the Stabat Mater. Composed a piano version of La Marseillaise. Performed with Mendelssohn in Leipzig.
              Marseillaise = 1812?

Otherwise sounds good to me. Well done if you're right. (And damn you, because I had what I thought was a good question for M lined up.)

Comment

Indeed, well done, if it's right!

I've never heard of Liszt's Stabat Mater. But I expect it's a piano arrangement. The thing is, whose Stabat Mater (out of the hundreds) did he arrange?

Comment

Arranged an earlier Stabat Mater. Wrote one of the tunes used in 1812 Overture. Performed music by Mendelssohn with Mendelssohn in Leipzig.

Comment

Arranged an earlier Stabat Mater. Wrote one of the tunes used in 1812 Overture. Performed music by Mendelssohn with Mendelssohn in Leipzig.
                    then I think it's Prince Alexei Fyodorovich Lvov ...

Comment

Well done pilamenon! Over to you for M - We wait with hardly concealed anticipation ...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        then I think it's Prince Alexei Fyodorovich Lvov ...
                        Got there at last. Arranged Pergolesi's Stabat Mater for chorus and orchestra. Composed the Russian Imperial National Anthem. Performed Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in Leipzig with Mendelssohn conducting.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          btw the reason I started this was because the others were too hard for me. I hoped I'd be able to join in with the simpler ones - as indeed I did. Once. But you lot are still too erudite for me - now we've had another composer I've never heard of. Graun?
                          Well, all I can say Simon is that you have now created a monster that will be difficult to destroy. You have caused unrest and bestial stirrings amongst many of our loins by reviving memories of the late Laura Branigan. You complain that this has become too erudite despite answering a trickily cryptic question on Fugue. You now appear to be casting aspersions on Graun who is the greatest composer of Baroque opera (with the exception of Handel, Rameau, Monteverdi, Lully, Gluck, Charpentier, Campra, Leclair and a few others). I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. Personally I find the research involved in trying to solve these clues a more stimulating pastime than contributing to the banal musical associations thread which IMHO is a CWOT
                          Last edited by Guest; 19-12-10, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            Well, all I can say Simon is that you have now created a monster that will be difficult to destroy. You have caused unrest and bestial stirrings amongst many of our loins by reviving memories of the late Laura Branigan. You are now complain that this has become too erudite despite answering a trickily cryptic question on Fugue. You now appear to be casting aspersions on Graun who is the greatest composer of Baroque opera (with the exception of Handel, Rameau, Monteverdi, Lully, Gluck, Charpentier, Campra, Monteclair and a few others). I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. Personally I find the research involved in trying to solve these clues a more stimulating pastime than contributing to the banal musical associations thread which IMHO is a CWOT
                            And I've commended pilamenon for Liszt instead of vinteuil for Lvov. For the Lvov of Mike - Woe is me!

Comment

Got there at last. Arranged Pergolesi's Stabat Mater for chorus and orchestra. Composed the Russian Imperial National Anthem. Performed Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in Leipzig with Mendelssohn conducting.
                              and so to M...

which M connects Sacha Guitry with Candy Darling and Maria Cebotari?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                Was the quartet movement already called 'Late Swallows' before Fenby, so to speak, got at it? I rather thought it was but can't seem to Google a definitive answer either way. I've just looked in Cobbett, and there is no mention of the title, though he doesn't cover the quartet in any detail, just giving it in the initial list of works.
                                Don, have just checked Fenby's own sleeve notes to the Barbirolli ASD2477 recording, the title Late Swallows was coined by Delius himself. "When we were away from home, Fred missed the swallows most," Mrs D is recorded as saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X