X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ams, according to Amazon's page it it available via LoveFilm. Trouble is with LF you don't get what's on top of your list, but I find them very good and you can take a payment holiday at any time. Yes, I remember that final interview with Melvyn Bragg as well

Comment

I'm lost in this, but I think Nigel Butterley is the toasty composer. Meditations of Thomas Traherne (1968).

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Not too tough (compared to some of yours! ) It's a composer, 2 tv dramas, a composer and a performer sort of turned composer. I'll be offline now until approx 11.45
        I beg to differ. Do you do cryptic crosswords by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          I'm lost in this, but I think Nigel Butterley is the toasty composer. Meditations of Thomas Traherne (1968).
          Yes, Nigel Butterley (hence reference to toast upon which you spread - Utterly Butterly of course! <groan at awful pun emoticon>

So, anton originally got the name Nigel + Kennedy, Ams got the Potter reference, you've got Mr. Butterley, that just leaves the electrifying two act Opera but as Anton got the vital word 'Nigel' I think, on balance, he gets the 'O' (if Lady Gould will let him play?)

Comment

Yes, Nigel Butterley (hence reference to toast upon which you spread - Utterly Butterly of course! <groan at awful pun emoticon>

So, anton originally got the name Nigel + Kennedy, Ams got the Potter reference, you've got Mr. Butterley, that just leaves the electrifying two act Opera but as Anton got the vital word 'Nigel' I think, on balance, he gets the 'O' (if Lady Gould will let him play?)
            ... for completeness' sake - Nigel Osborne, The Electrification of the Soviet Union.

(libretto by one of my old tutors )

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... for completeness' sake - Nigel Osborne, The Electrification of the Soviet Union.

(libretto by one of my old tutors )
              Yes! And I have used that Osborne before, when I set 'Union' as the puzzle. So, how does that leave the scoring now?

Libretto my one of your old tutors? Oh, please tell all vinteuil! And, are you also a famous librettist?

Comment

vinteuil! And, are you also a famous librettist?
                good lord no! me, I'm a retired obscure cultural bureaucrat and academic manqué, now just a gentleman of leisure...

Comment

but as Anton got the vital word 'Nigel' I think, on balance, he gets the 'O' (if Lady Gould will let him play?)
                  The weekend, by the widely accepted Lady Gould definition, has not quite started yet ......but if you can wait a while!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    good lord no! me, I'm a retired obscure cultural bureaucrat and academic manqué, now just a gentleman of leisure...
                    Non, Non, Non, mon cher vinteuil, pas manqué, c'est tout simplement que vos talents n'ont pas été reconnus!!! (Excuse my French!)

Comment

A bit out of practice so don't know if this is too hard or too easy

Which O hopefully connects

David Rizzio
                      The Skatalites
                      Sacred and Secular Lieder

all musical to varying degrees

Comment

Looks good anton, Mary Queen of Scots meets Ska? I'm looking forward to the result of this Pet!

Comment

It was all set to test your outstanding linguistic ability Anna

Comment

Perhaps Opie?

No, it can't be that. Not all the Opies are musical!

Comment

Sadly not Dave - as it's late a clue - your namesake Rizzio its not him but someone who pinched his name

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                someone who pinched his name
                                sorry to butt in but I think these may be Oswalds

James Oswald, Scottish composer (1711 - 1769) seems to have published works under the name David Rizzio
                                a trumpet player with the Skatalites is/was Oswald Baba Brooks
                                and Oswald von Wolkenstein (1376 - 1445) seems to have written some Geistliche und weltliche lieder, though I can't seem to find much info. about them

will Fenwicks be benefiting from your custom today?
                                Last edited by mercia; 09-07-11, 06:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X