X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm floundering

there's the Polyphony choral group

Comment

indeed there is where does that lead(er) you?

Comment

Florence Nightingale has links with Derbyshire. Is Dr. Who also involved in this?

Comment

Most excellent Anna the polymath who wrote the Wiki entry for Derby claims the Lady of the Lamp for the City and also 2 musical souls!

Comment

Didn't read Wiki, I don't know why but Delia Derbyshire just popped into my mind, love her Radiophonic Workshop Dr. Who sounds. I have to go offline now, I'll leave further guessing to the others.

Edit: Hope I've not upset the proverbial cart by guessing. I think mercia was there, hot on the trail.
            Last edited by Guest; 20-10-11, 17:11.

Comment

'Stephen Layton was raised in Derby, where his father was a church organist' (Wikipedia).

Comment

Derby-born Ronald Binge wrote a piece called 'Vice Versa'

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                  'Stephen Layton was raised in Derby, where his father was a church organist' (Wikipedia).
                  Sorry y'all it was an incredibly wobbly D but yes it is Derby with Stephen Layton of Polyphony, The Lady of the Lamp and Ronald Binge who composed Vice Versa and other light classics.

Apologies I should stick to Os and Qs.

As to who gets the gold and the E - Anna, mercia and ofcaNorfolk all have claims!

Comment

I'd like a question from Mr Norfolk please

Comment

OK!
                      Which E links (a) a 1940s opera, (b) a star of Hollywood musicals, (c) a song first mentioned in Pepys' diary and (d) a jazz guitarist's wife?

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

Would anybody like a clue for E?

Comment

I'll bid you goodnight with a significant date: June 7th 1945.

Comment

That helps a fair bit could it be Ellen?
                              Ellen Orford - Peter Grimes was premiered on this date
                              Vera Ellen
                              Barbara Ellen
                              and I think the wife of Joe Pass was called Ellen i.e. Songs for Ellen

Comment

Spot on! (The title track of the Joe Pass album was dedicated to his wife).
                                An F at your convenience.....

Comment

Working...
                                X