John Milton
      Robert Bridges and
      William Wordsworth
      I reckon 'tis Finzi who set words by

John Milton - Two Sonnets

Robert Bridges - Seven Partsongs

William Wordsworth - Intimations of Mortality

Comment

'tis indeed and I think you have known this since 08.21 but have kindly allowed us a quiet day!

G up when you are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          'tis indeed and I think you have known this since 08.21 but have kindly allowed us a quiet day!

G up when you are ready.
          Yay!! - if only

What G links Gurrelieder, Mahler symphony no 10, and the Festival of Britain?

All clues and answer are musical

Comment

I guess (actually I'm sure...) it's Berthold Goldschmidt.

Must go, to join the traffic - back later.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I guess (actually I'm sure...) it's Berthold Goldschmidt.

Must go, to join the traffic - back later.
              Bravo Dave!

Would you elucidate further for members' benefit, please?

And then we'll await an H from you

Comment

G worked with Deryck Cooke on Mahler 10, and gave the first performance of the performing edition.
                His opera Beatrice Cenci won first prize in the Festival of Britain opera competition.
                He coached the choir for the Berlin performance of .Gurre-lieder.

I'll have to be quick with the H as not much time over the weekend.

Comment

What H links two composers with the same name, Schumann, Bruch and Reger?

Comment

I believe these might be Hillers
                    Ferdinand Hiller taught Bruch in Cologne and was the dedicatee of Schumann's Piano Concerto. Reger wrote a Variations & Fugue on a theme of (Johann Adam) Hiller. wiki assures me that these two Hillers were unrelated.

Comment

mercia

Well done!

Phew - I can now go out for the weekend and leave you with the next one!

There are several Hillers. A fairly recent one is Lejaren Hiller - 1924-1994.
                      Another is Wilfried Hiller: 1941 -

Ferdinand: 1811-1885 - the one you mentioned.
                      Johann Adam: 1728 - 1804
                      Friedrich Adam: 1767-1812 - son of Johann Adam

Comment

thanks Dave, have a good weekend

an I to connect

Yehudi's final farewell, Joseph Wright of Derby, the doublebass section of the LSO
                        Last edited by mercia; 22-10-11, 08:49. Reason: I don't think I can say bass section

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          G worked with Deryck Cooke on Mahler 10, and gave the first performance of the performing edition.
                          His opera Beatrice Cenci won first prize in the Festival of Britain opera competition.
                          He coached the choir for the Berlin performance of .Gurre-lieder.

I'll have to be quick with the H as not much time over the weekend.
                          Bravissimo, Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            thanks Dave, have a good weekend

an I to connect

Yehudi's final farewell, Joseph Wright of Derby, the doublebass section of the LSO
                            Rinat Ibragimov is the Principal Double-Bassist of the LSO.
                            His daughter Alina Ibragimova studied at the Menuhin School and partnered Nicola Benedetti in the Bach double concerto at Menuhin's Memorial Service.
                            Assuming these details are relevant, I shall happily cede the next question to anyone clever enough to work out the link with Joseph Wright of Derby!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                              Alina Ibragimova
                              well done, she is indeed my answer, would you like to tie-in the final element?

reading the wikipedia entry on Alina might help, with a bit of lateral thinking

Comment

Chiaroscuro (a musical ensemble and, of course, a technique associated with JW)?

Comment

Working...
                                X