This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Could well be Ams. Since Roman times beetroot considered a potent aphrodisiac, murals featuring beetroot have been found on the walls of Pompeii's brothels. Beetroot juice has the same effect it seems. I am a late convert, hated them but I love them now, so earthy and flavoursome. I cooked some little ones last night with lime and fresh chilli, perfect to have with goats cheese. From picking to eating, 5 hours! The bigger ones will be roasted with apples and pears to accompany medallions of pork.
    WOW! it all sounds.....

... so damn delicious!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I am a late convert, hated them but I love them now, so earthy and flavoursome. .
      ... me too. Mme Vinteuil does a most excellent beetroot soup, which is well scrummy, esp with a swirl of sour cream - and it looks so pretty!

But bad childhood memories of school vinegary diced beetroot in salads - yuk.

Innarestingly, the 'root' in beetroot doesn't mean root. 'Beet' means root. 'root' means red...

... PS - when I'm in the mood for bad jokes, I have been known to intoduce my other half as my French beetroot. Because she's my betterave...

[coat already on... ]

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        But bad childhood memories of school vinegary diced beetroot in salads - yuk.
        Yes: the reason why I've never taken the plunge with the real thing. The soup sounds an enticing way in!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Innarestingly, the 'root' in beetroot doesn't mean root. 'Beet' means root. 'root' means red...
          Madame Vindepays is indeed a lucky woman.

Seriously: that is quite interesting!

Comment

... PS - when I'm in the mood for bad jokes, I have been known to intoduce my other half as my French beetroot. Because she's my betterave...
            The long winter evenings must just fly by....!!

Comment

If we keep this up, we'll get to 10,000 replies on the AA thread in no time!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Yes: the reason why I've never taken the plunge with the real thing. The soup sounds an enticing way in!
                I could show you several more enticing ways to take the plunge with the real thing rather than just having a bowl of soup!

Comment

Could well be Ams. Since Roman times beetroot considered a potent aphrodisiac, murals featuring beetroot have been found on the walls of Pompeii's brothels. Beetroot juice has the same effect it seems. I am a late convert, hated them but I love them now, so earthy and flavoursome. I cooked some little ones last night with lime and fresh chilli, perfect to have with goats cheese. From picking to eating, 5 hours! The bigger ones will be roasted with apples and pears to accompany medallions of pork.
                  Mmmm sounsds very toothsome, Anna.

Friend of mine served blanched rhubarb about 4cm sticks with diced beetroot in a vinaigrette with warm goat's cheese howsyourfather and it was certainly deelish - most unusual and, frankly, unexpectedly so

Comment

for Anna and other vegetable enthusiasts - I see the QI quote on the BBC homepage today is : -

"Tomatoes, as everyone knows, are fruits not vegetables. Fewer people know that avocadoes, pumpkins, coconuts, cucumbers, peas, beans (green as well as all other beans), peppers, corn, aubergines, squash and all kinds of nuts are also fruits... "

Comment

I could show you several more enticing ways to take the plunge with the real thing rather than just having a bowl of soup!
                      I bet you could Anna, I bet you could....

(Où sont les Engine Sheds d'antan.... toot toooot...)

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

A recent snap of Caliban en route down the engine sheds in disguise (or was it in Godalming?)

Let's hope News International doesn't get a whiff of this

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          A recent snap of Caliban en route down the engine sheds in disguise (or was it in Godalming?)

Let's hope News International doesn't get a whiff of this

That is one of the most extraordinary websites I have ever encountered.... http://www.dianablack.me.uk/gallery/...e1.php?id=1135

Disturbing... and not only because my cover's now totally blown...!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

And this will lead us on to Georges Brassens? (That is a consummation devoutly to be wished)

Comment

... just as long as no root vegetables are harmed in the process, you're on!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oh dear, no-one has set E so I shall get on with it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X