• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    'otter
    ouch !!

Comment

See if you can do this one in less than 24 hours (we have got through two whole letters in the last two days):

What N links an operatic tenor, his son, an operatic baritone, and a librettist for, amongst others, Kurt Weill?

Comment

Nash? Ogden did a libretto for Weill, and then there was Heddle ....

Comment

Heddle Nash (a tenor) was the father of John Heddle Nash (a baritone).

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
            Heddle Nash (a tenor) was the father of John Heddle Nash (a baritone).
            Well done. That is all three. Heddle Nash was one of my father's favourite singers, and my father could identify his voice whenever he heard it on the radio. The son had a very similar sound in a slightly lower register.

O to be born in Norfolk?

Comment

There are many worse places to be born!
              Which O links Henry Purcell, Richard Rodgers and Antonio Carlos Jobim?

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post

What N links an operatic tenor, his son, an operatic baritone, and a librettist for, amongst others, Kurt Weill?
                I immediately thought of Heddle Nash (easy to say after the event!), but forgot about his son. I was also looking for four N's (tenor, son, baritone, librettist) - was anyone else misled?

Anyway I wouldn't have time to set a poser, as I'm off for a week in Venice right now - yippee!

Comment

I wasn't misled: I was looking for (1) an operatic tenor, (2) his son, (who was) an operatic baritone, and (3) a librettist for Kurt Weill.
                  Enjoy Venice!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    I immediately thought of Heddle Nash (easy to say after the event!), but forgot about his son. I was also looking for four N's (tenor, son, baritone, librettist) - was anyone else misled?

Anyway I wouldn't have time to set a poser, as I'm off for a week in Venice right now - yippee!
                    Just catching up after being out till late yesterday - I would have been looking for 4 N's too Don, I was just thinking 'hold on, why are we on to O, there are 2 Ns left to get...' So were there only two answers to N? .....Ah no! Just saw NBs fleeting reference to Ogden as the librettist.

Don, you don't half get around, don't you?! You really off to Venice shortly?

I really need some of the coffee you're going to be enjoying among other things.

Buon viaggio !
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Hmm, N was ambiguous wasn't it? Too many commas! Not to worry, N will soon come round again at this rate.

Just listening to "The Girl from Ipanema." I wonder who she was?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A Clockwork Orange?
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Forgive my premature ejaculation, I have only worked out one of the clues so far: title music from a Clockwork Orange - from Henry Purcell's Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            Henry Purcell
                            does it have to be specifically Henry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purcell,_Oklahoma

Comment

Wendy Carlos (born Walter Carlos ) wrote some of the soundtrack - but that is not a very close connection to Antonio Carlos Jobim
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                does it have to be specifically Henry?
                                Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X