• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    a much better question
    ... not sure about that! The answer way back then was -

"congratulations, hercule!

to sum up:

1.) the car city is Turin, headquarters of Fiat (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino)
    2.) the circuit is the Formula 1/Italian Grand Prix autodromo nazionale di Monza
    3.) the quartet is "Crisantemi" composed by Puccini in 1890 as an Elegy "alla memoria di Amadeo di Savoia Duca d'Aosta"

and the U is Umberto, King of Italy, born Turin 14 March 1844, assassinated Monza 29 July 1900,
    brother of Amadeo di Savoia, in honour of whom Puccini composed his only quartet.

Amadeo was by all accounts a pretty unattractive personality, and, briefly, a not very successful King of Spain (Nov 1870 - abdicated Feb 1873). I like the trivia connected with his wedding day (to Donna Maria Vittoria) - which was marred by the following tragic events:
    The best man shot himself.
    The Palace Gatekeeper slit his throat.
    The King's aide died after falling from his horse.
    The bride's wardrobe mistress hanged herself.
    The colonel leading the wedding procession collapsed from sunstroke.
    The stationmaster was crushed to death under the wheels of the honeymoon train.

It was said of him that he was neither very intelligent nor very cultivated, and not well-liked by his Spanish subjects. For instance, legend has it that once, whilst he was going for a drive around Madrid in his carriage, his secretary pointed out that the house they where passing by was that of the famous writer Miguel de Cervantes, upon which he replied that "Well, if he is so famous, even though he has not come to see me yet, I'll pay him a visit soon". Cervantes had died 200 years earlier...

Quite why Puccini wrote his little masterpiece for him is unclear... "

Comment

V for Vinteuil... After all that, how about you set us a V, vinny? What do you think, mercs?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        What do you think, mercs?
        an excellent proposition, m'learned

Comment

I really have to give up on this game.

I saw The Incredible as a clue, so then ........

I went down the path of The Incredible String Band and their Album U (Neither of which I have heard of) and, if anyone had done an Opera about Nancy Mitford in my search for Glory. Now, I am even more confused about vints page 15 which I don't have time to backtrack to.

Edit: posted before I saw the answer. I had also investigated U-Bends.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
              Should I be Kinder, Küche, Kirche? Actually, I have never been barefoot and pregnant, nor a Methodist. I could try.

Comment

Gosh, this has moved on a bit since yesterday when I was last here. I had to drop out because we had guests coming to dinner. Mrs Flay was cooking, I was assisting. So it was “peel and slice those potatoes!” “Yes, chef.” “They’re cut too thick!” “Sorry, chef.” When you’ve done that you can wash those pots.” “Yes, chef.” “And then you need to do the hoovering. And don’t forget to dust first!” “Yes, chef” etc etc.

And tomorrow it's back to work.

My nightmarish "pie" seems a long way off. I was going to explain some ambiguities. But never mind, forget U bends, on with the V!!
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Should I be Kinder, Küche, Kirche? Actually, I have never been barefoot and pregnant, nor a Methodist. I could try.
                  ... well, I think you quite like Küche - but only 'cos you like it - and no need for subservience to any of the rest!!!

Anna - we wd miss you terribly if you were to choose to desert. Has any here offended you? I'll go and bash 'em up. Have I offended you? I will - I will - I will - retire hurt...

Comment

V for Vinteuil... After all that, how about you set us a V, vinny? What do you think, mercs?
                    ... okely dokely - I've got to go out and do some emergency Sunday evening shopping - but will generate a V on return...

Comment

I saw The Incredible as a clue, so then ........

I went down the path of The Incredible String Band and their Album U (Neither of which I have heard of) and, if anyone had done an Opera about Nancy Mitford in my search for Glory. Now, I am even more confused about vints page 15 which I don't have time to backtrack to.

Edit: posted before I saw the answer. I had also investigated U-Bends.
                      I always told you that plumbing course would come in useful!
                      PS: I tried giving up - failed - glad I returned to the lists (so to speak). PLEASE STAY!

Comment

Anna:
                        Choose Dessert, not to desert!

Best Wishes!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... okely dokely - I've got to go out and do some emergency Sunday evening shopping - but will generate a V on return...

... so - what (non-musical) V might possibly connect Gilles Binchois - Charles Tournemire (and Caliban's J. Roger-Ducasse... ) - and Phillippe Gaubert?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... so - what (non-musical) V might possibly connect Gilles Binchois - Charles Tournemire (and Caliban's J. Roger-Ducasse... ) - and Phillippe Gaubert?
                            The "non-musical" requirement means this is wrong, but a musical "V" which unites them seems to be Vocalise - at least MM. Tournemire, Roger-Ducasse and Gaubert all composed pieces called that....

OK... back to The Killing II: just watched the first of last night's episodes, I hasten back to Copenhagen...

Comment

Oh I thought she meant rugby, after Wales,and poor Shane in particular, succumbed to the Aussies yesterday

Don't go cariad - between us we offer the yin and yang of AA, the essential masculine and feminine, tho the others never know quite which and quite when

Please stay and make me look stupid

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Don't go cariad - between us we offer the yin and yang of AA, the essential masculine and feminine, tho the others never know quite which and quite when

Please stay and make me look stupid
                                Oh, I'll willingly stay and make you look like that Duckie!

Comment

Working...
                                X