X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hew understands clews like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      In view of my alphabetic duties, I was up at the crack of nine today, but all is quiet. Perhaps a silent cry for help?

Well, you should all know me by now as a stalwart, middle-of-the-road, down-to-earth, nicky-tams sort of man. So none of your Barry Manilows or poncy film scores.

Time for a Gross Loydman 'Through the Keyhole' type summing up of what we are looking for:

A musical poem, perhaps a voyage, by a composer in the far (diagonal) North (see Flay's post for checklist).

A musical regal person, demanding (in two senses) by another composer.

The start of something to do with the dead, associated musically with a third composer. (Actually, more than the start, a recurring theme.)

The three composers span three centuries by birth, not necessarily in the above order.

The required N appears in the title of items one and two, and twice in the content of three.
      Hew leeves in a house like this?
      Noggin the Nog (silly me, that's three 'N's)

Comment

Another Norfolk euphemism?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          Hew understands clews like this?
          Oh pur-leaze! Don is a rank amateur in those stakes, a miracle of clarity I'd say

Comment

A musical poem, perhaps a voyage, by a composer in the far (diagonal) North (see Flay's post for checklist).

The required N appears in the title of items one and two, and twice in the content of three.
            Discarding Nielsen's Saga Trom and his Imaginary Journey to the Faroe Islands would we be on the right road to consider Sibelius' (Flay's "Finland") Night Ride and Sunrise? Leaving us with the decidedly non-nicky tam (though what you have against her, I can't imagine: I've always found her very considerate and obliging!) word
            "Night"?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Noggin the Nog
              The thought had also occurred to me, Norfs

Don, what are "nicky-tams" ??
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Discarding Nielsen's Saga Trom and his Imaginary Journey to the Faroe Islands would we be on the right road to consider Sibelius' (Flay's "Finland") Night Ride and Sunrise? Leaving us with the decidedly non-nicky tam (though what you have against her, I can't imagine: I've always found her very considerate and obliging!) word
                "Night"?

And could there be a coded ref. in Don's #10905? ("Unlike you night birds, I need my beauty sleep")

But what is the piece in which the word North appears twice?? Hitchcock fillum, yes... but...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  The thought had also occurred to me, Norfs

Don, what are "nicky-tams" ??
                  M'Lud...they would appear to be straps or similar devices used by the agricultural labouring classes in order to keep their trousers hitched up and the bottoms of said items of clothing thereby free from mud (thus presumably enabling them to attend church services without embarrassing themselves or their betters).

Comment

And could there be a coded ref. in Don's #10905? ("Unlike you night birds, I need my beauty sleep")
                    Cunning!

But what is the piece in which the word North appears twice?? Hitchcock fillum, yes... but...
                    Not "North" but "night", Cali. Should we be looking for a piece called "Nighty Night"?

Comment

Cunning!

Not "North" but "night", Cali. Should we be looking for a piece called "Nighty Night"?
                      Ooops... got my 'Christmas cheer' head on Just off for a pre-Christmas luncheon...

Norfy, thanks... sounds as if the legal labouring classes could do with a pair of nicky tams for cycling though the beastly mud and oomska of London in winter...

Comment

Ooops... got my 'Christmas cheer' head on Just off for a pre-Christmas luncheon...
                        Mrs Miggins' Pie Shoppe and a jug of Lincoln's Inn Gin is it this year, Caliban?

Patti LuPone and George Hearn singing "A Little Priest" from Sweeney Todd. No copyright infringement intended

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Mrs Miggins' Pie Shoppe and a jug of Lincoln's Inn Gin is it this year, Caliban?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnVd3wgTX0
                          In-house... very nice... managed to get a large slice of turkey, some duck breast, some goose, some pheasant, some guinea fowl (the latter three all in a sort of 'pot au feu') and a few bits of venison all on the same plate

The brussels were like bullets though

Small port and some nice moist stilton to finish.

What was the queshtion???

Comment

A musical regal person, demanding (in two senses) by another composer.
                            The Queen of the Night who has two demanding (on the singer) arias in which she demands somebody kills somebody else for her?

Comment

M'Lud...they would appear to be straps or similar devices used by the agricultural labouring classes in order to keep their trousers hitched up and the bottoms of said items of clothing thereby free from mud (thus presumably enabling them to attend church services without embarrassing themselves or their betters).
                              Just below the knee, and string in my case. They also stop the rats running up your legs, should you be so in need.

Comment

"Night"?
                                Correct! Night it is, and that's number one identified, fhg. I'll now read on ...

Comment

Working...
                                X