X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... the Pink?

Based on the folksong Lydia Pinkham
    Performed by The Scaffold with help from Graham Nash (of The Hollies), Elton John and Jack Bruce
    Refers to Stephen Frears (and his "sticky-out ears") who directed The Queen (whose childhood nickname was Lilibet)

... the "armoured vehicle" I can't get. Did anyone call the first Jeeps/Tanks/LRs "Auntie Millie" or "Brother Tony" (who required reinforced transport after drinking "My Dissimal Compound" as I used to hear - and sing - it?!)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Lily?
      How does that connect with any of the elements?! (EDIT: cross-posted with some intriguing explanation!!) This is a real teaser! I can't wait till someone with a greater capacity for lateral thinking than I have, manages to solve this. Even though I first said 'Lydia' ... it was by accident
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Jennifer Eccles had terrible freckles & Jennifer Eccles (Hollies) and variation of Lily the Pink was the unofficial regimental song of the Royal Tank Corps?

Comment

A version of it was the unofficial regimental song of the Royal Tank Corps at the end of World War II, apparently.

GREAT question and brill drilling down to the solution from fhg

I want to listen to Lily the Pink again now, it's 30 years since I heard it. Will wait till office mate goes to lunch tho

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            ... the Pink?

Based on the folksong Lydia Pinkham
            Performed by The Scaffold with help from Graham Nash (of The Hollies), Elton John and Jack Bruce
            Refers to Stephen Frears (and his "sticky-out ears") who directed The Queen (whose childhood nickname was Lilibet)

... the "armoured vehicle" I can't get. Did anyone call the first Jeeps/Tanks/LRs "Auntie Millie" or "Brother Tony" (who required reinforced transport after drinking "My Dissimal Compound" as I used to hear - and sing - it?!)
            Well on your way, fhg!

Stephen Frears had sticky-out ears. But what physical feature afflicted the girl from the Hollies song? And which members of the armed forces adopted the song as their unofficial regimental anthem?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
              Well on your way, fhg!

Stephen Frears had sticky-out ears. But what physical feature afflicted the girl from the Hollies song? And which members of the armed forces adopted the song as their unofficial regimental anthem?
              The busy fingers of Anna and me got there before you, norfs!

Comment

Cross-posted with Anna, who completed the good work started by fhg. Well done, tous les deux! Which of them deserves/would like to set the next question?
                (The Hollies song in question was of course 'I Love Jennifer Eccles'.)

Comment

DARNITT!
                  I had Jennifer Eccles (complete with freckles) on my list and forgot to type it!

Would never have got the Royal Armoured corps, though!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oh, ferny gets that, not me, he did all the work I just tidied it up! Great question Norfy, I was going down a completely different route with Fox and Vixen armoured cars!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I want to listen to Lily the Pink again now, it's 30 years since I heard it. Will wait till office mate goes to lunch tho
                      It'll be a while yet, Calibs - he's stood standing in front of that mirror again admiring his wig, innit

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        It'll be a while yet, Calibs - he's stood standing in front of that mirror again admiring his wig, innit
                        Sandwich at the desk in fact!

Comment

Lily the Pink.
                          Lillibet.
                          the Hollies.
                          the Scaffold.
                          Elton John.
                          the Royal Tank Corps.

Anyone would think this was Radio Three...

Comment

...it's the new, friendly, accessible Radio 3!
                            (And, as has been pointed out before, the title of the thread is musically non-prescriptive).

Comment

I thought it was a brilliant question, certainly I now know more about armoured vehicles than is probably good for me! Which may stand me in good stead for a future pub quiz!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                Lily the Pink.
                                Lillibet.
                                the Hollies.
                                the Scaffold.
                                Elton John.
                                the Royal Tank Corps.

Anyone would think this was Radio Three...
                                I wonder if fhg's Q will be more soothing to our dear vindebourgogne's sensibilities...

Comment

Working...
                                X