This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

And could there be a coded ref. in Don's #10905? ("Unlike you night birds, I need my beauty sleep")

But what is the piece in which the word North appears twice?? Hitchcock fillum, yes... but...
    That reference was an unintentional clue (and if I'd thought about it I'd have rephrased without it - must have been getting sleepy). The intentional one was, if anything, 'voyage'.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The Queen of the Night who has two demanding (on the singer) arias in which she demands somebody kills somebody else for her?
      Right. I've just caught up.

Correct again, fhg. A demanding person and a demanding role.

One to go, and by elimination you should be able to narrow the birth century of the third composer to one of two, and guess which is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Correct again, fhg. A demanding person and a demanding role.
        Yes, but I mean well!

One to go, and by elimination you should be able to narrow the birth century of the third composer to one of two, and guess which is more likely.
        Well Mozza is 18thC (b1756), Sibelius 19thC (b1865), so the third Nightie is either 17th (b,c1660s) or 20th (b,c1960): I'm guessing 17thC ...

... oh I think I've got it just by writing that!

Purcell? (b1659) The Fairy Queen?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Well Mozza is 18thC (b1756), Sibelius 19thC (b1865), so the third Nightie is either 17th (b,c1660s) or 20th (b,c1960): I'm guessing 17thC ...

... oh I think I've got it just by writing that!

Purcell? (b1659) The Fairy Queen?

Your logic is correct, except that I was meaning centuries by name, rather than intervals of 100 years, so your b's aren't necessarily right.

Oh, and your choice was wrong!

PS I actually meant choice of century, though obviously this also applies to Purcell.
          Last edited by Guest; 22-12-11, 17:54. Reason: Addendum

Comment

your b's aren't necessarily right.

Oh, and your choice was wrong!
            Another word beginning with "b" comes to mind!
            So, 17thC or 20thC?

... like Bartok, f'rinstance?

Comment

Yes, but I mean well!

I'm very much enjoying watching your plucky chipping away at this question!

(I was about to come up with the two "Nightmusic" movements in Mahler 7... but that thought was instantly dashed to pieces by your reasoning!)

If anyone ever deserved an "O", it's you fhg!!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Another word beginning with "b" comes to mind!
                So, 17thC or 20thC?

... like Bartok, f'rinstance?
                Keep on chippin', as Caliban would say ... right letter, wrong man.

And see my addendum to #10925 regarding century.
                Last edited by Guest; 22-12-11, 17:56. Reason: Addendum re addendum

Comment

I'm just looking on with admiration at the plucky determination being shown by ferney!

Comment

Britten? Night Mail, Nocturne, Midsummer Night's Dream, Nocturnal after Dowland?

Comment

Britten? Night Mail, Nocturne, Midsummer Night's Dream, Nocturnal after Dowland?
                      The chips are getting smaller, probably nearer to the elusive truth.

Right man, wrong works.

Comment

The chips are getting smaller, probably nearer to the elusive truth.

Right man, wrong works.
                        It's Britten, involving the word "Night", and it's not one of those works???

You're a hard man, Don
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

(Though I imagine, this being an easy one, by then we'll be further down the alphabetical road. )
                          Hollow, ironic laughter bordering on the hysterical heard from chez ferney!

Is it Lulu?

Comment

... or the Night Piece for solo piano that he wrote for the first Leeds International Piano competition.

(I don't get the "funereal" aspect, but it's a killer to play!)

Comment

Very shortly, I think, fhg will be awarded a pass for good attendance.

In case it helps, and maybe to cut short the agony, I repeat parts of this morning's clue:

The start of something to do with the dead, associated musically with a third composer. (Actually, more than the start, a recurring theme.)

The required N appears ... twice in the content.

So it's something Britten set, with a recurring part which includes two 'nights' (and don't forget the cadaverous connection).

Comment

Was that a sepulchral echo? *
                                It's a vocal work, of course, since it includes the word night.

* Ferny's #10934 seemed to be repeated, but now it's gone. Now I'm hallucinating!
                                Last edited by Guest; 22-12-11, 18:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X