X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Just plain ORPHEUS?
    Exactly so! The cult of Orpheus was an occult gathering that had an enormous influence on, among others, Pythagoras. Orpheus is credited with having written the "Orphic Hymns" associated with the cult.

Right. I suspect Flay knew the answers from the start, but couched his responses in suitably Orphic terms. Cali got the lion's share of the answers and Subby cleared up details and provided a fascinating fact or two.

I'll let you sort out who's next: I've had a busy day's Night wandering!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I'm confused. You said 'almost' in relation to 'Sir Orfeo'... Is that 'precisely' the answer, then?
      "Orpheus" is the answer. He led to the cult named after him, and was the source of the mediaeval poem and Haydn's Opera (in both of which his name is "Italianated"!)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Right. I suspect Flay knew the answers from the start, but couched his responses in suitably Orphic terms. Cali got the lion's share of the answers and Subby cleared up details and provided a fascinating fact or two.

Well no other takers, so here's a quick p before bed:

a graduate of the University where CPE Bach studied law, who collected over 300 dances and engaged in a familiar and seasonal bit of flower arrangement.

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

a graduate of the University where CPE Bach studied law, who collected over 300 dances and engaged in a familiar and seasonal bit of flower arrangement.

Michael Praetorius (1571 - 1621) studied divinity and philosophy at Frankfurt (Oder), his Terpsichore (1612) is a collection of more than 300 instrumental dances and his seasonal Es ist ein Ros entsprungen horticulturally compares the virgin Mary to a rose and is a favourite of Caliban in the Sandstrom arrangement.
          Last edited by mercia; 23-12-11, 09:28.

Comment

There is something not totally horticultural about that rose...the monks get excited about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              Michael Praetorius (1571 - 1621) studied divinity and philosophy at Frankfurt (Oder), his Terpsichore (1612) is a collection of more than 300 instrumental dances and his seasonal Es ist ein Ros entsprungen horticulturally compares the virgin Mary to a rose and is a favourite of Caliban in the Sandstrom arrangement.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Es_ist_...andstr%C3%B6m)
              Mercy me mercia..!!! Three holes in one! And good cross-referencing re: the Sandstrom!!!

Yes on every count... My 'flower arranging' was a reference to the fact that I think he only harmonised (i.e. arranged) "Es ist en Ros..." but you got there.

And you got yourself a Christmas Eve-eve Q to set!!!

PS for anyone who remembers the saga, the pre-Christmas fridge break-down saga, all is well again, the excellent appliancesdirect.com delivered v promptly this morning, so the new one is chilling for a few hours ready for shopping later today to be inserted, prior to family arrivals this evening... *phew*

Comment

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                There is something not totally horticultural about that rose...the monks get excited about it.
                O rosa sine spina...

Comment

My 'flower arranging' was a reference to the fact that I think he only harmonised (i.e. arranged) "Es ist en Ros..."
                  ah yes, too subtle for me
                  sounds like you've got an exciting day ahead

Q connecting

a musical contemplation, a 1970 album, a booker prizewinner

(I think I've been here before )

Comment

Well that O whistled over my head at great speed (lucky I had me nicky-tams on). I did know Praetorius without the flowers. A bit mean of Mercia to get up at the unearthly hour of 7.30 to grab it, I thought.

Does anyone remember that great early DGG Archiv LP with some of the Terpsichore Dances by the Collegium Terpsichore, under Fritz Neumeyer?

Comment

Q connecting

a Booker prizewinning book, that is

Comment

Q connecting

Does this Question have an answer?

Comment

a Booker prizewinning book, that is
                          Drat it. I was working on Quinn.

Back to the drawing board...
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                            Back to the drawing board...
                            sorry if I misled you.

I guess the book is as much the prizewinner as the author, if you see what I mean

I think SCB may be onto it, given his cryptic enQuiry

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Does this Question have an answer?
                              It might be unanswered
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Quartet:

The Unanswered Question - Charles Ives (a Quartet)

Quartet in Autumn – Macmillan

Let it Be – the Beatles’ last album (they were a quartet)
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X