X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct. However, I am torn: I received a PM from Don Petter half an hour ago asking whether this was the solution. I suggested that he should put his head above the parapet and make a formal declaration but no response as yet. Not sure whether we have a precedent for how to proceed in this event?

Comment

I have a 'U' question ready.....

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
        I have a 'U' question ready.....
        Ofca -

Go on, give us your U...

Don's "same here" was in response to my message saying I knew the answer but didn't want to provide a U question...

Comment

OK!
          In 2002, which 'U' linked a popular work by Vivaldi and works for similar forces by Howells and Palestrina?
          (The link is musical, but the answer is not a piece of music or a person).

Comment

A clue: Location, location, location (for the record ).

Comment

Hello! I'm here, though wasn't sure that I would able to, as I'm in the middle of a trip.

That's why I didn't want to get involved just as I was leaving the house. Ofca's U is fine by me. I'll take the kudos for getting T first, but don't want to slow up the thread when I can't guarantee being on hand.

Keep 'em rolling!

Comment

OK!
                In 2002, which 'U' linked a popular work by Vivaldi and works for similar forces by Howells and Palestrina?
                (The link is musical, but the answer is not a piece of music or a person).
                Have not a clue.

A wild stab in the dark would be "Urtext" - as in, Urtext of each of these works (whatever they are) was published.
                Last edited by Tapiola; 04-02-11, 22:33. Reason: dodgy grammar - probably still a bit dodgy

Comment

Here's a hefty triple clue: Regis; EMI; GMN.
                  I guess we're all guilty, at least sometimes, of believing that a question which we have set is perfectly 'gettable' from the details provided!
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-02-11, 23:56.

Comment

A clue: Location, location, location (for the record ).
                    Utah - the 2002 winter olympics...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      Utah - the 2002 winter olympics...
                      Is that a real stab at the answer? (in which case how on earth do Howells and Palestrina fit in?! ). Or are you just being ironic?

This thread has reached such a point that I can no longer tell the difference!

I think a little more sleep is called for... I love Saturdays
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

In an attempt to help us move on, I'm prepared to all but reveal the answer:
                        In 2002, works by Howells, Vivaldi and Palestrina were all committed to CD (hence the hint 'for the record'....) by ensembles all based (hence the hint 'location'...) at a certain type of educational establishment. The inclusion of the Palestrina should, perhaps, have indicated the nature of the forces involved, likewise the invitation to contributors to 'The Choir' forum to help out. I've also provided the names of the record labels concerned.

Comment

Wild guess - Undercroft?

Silly - that's not eductational. Perhaps in the University bar.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-02-11, 10:46. Reason: Add flippant afterthought

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                            Wild guess - Undercroft?

Silly - that's not eductational. Perhaps in the University bar.
                            The three recordings were by choirs based at, respectively, Christ's College, King's College Cambridge and Trinity College, Cambridge. The works concerned were the Howells Requiem, the Vivaldi Gloria and Palestrina's Offertoria.

On (thankfully, I suspect!) to 'V'.

Comment

On (thankfully, I suspect!) to 'V'.
                              As usual, I come into play when the clues get really easy!

Here’s a V, though I will be out again a bit later until this afternoon, so you’ll have to put up with some delayed responses now and again:

What V has, as given, an ex-ballet composer, an ex-ballet concocter …….. expound.

Comment

Gordon Bennett [does he have 2 Ts?]! Following a cry for help on The Choir board, Mrs Ardcarp and I have been up all night (wet towels, coffee, etc) trying to puzzle out the 'U'. Have just emerged to find 'U' soved. Not sure we've the will for 'V'

Comment

Working...
                                X