Winter words = Winter Words (Britten)
      Winter tempests - Walkure?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        So we have, perhaps:

Winter travels = Winterreise (Schubert)
        Winter tempests = ? (?)
        Winter words = Winter Words (Britten)
        Don - you're there ... the missing bit is a section of Die Walküre which a Wagnerian wd know...

Comment

Yes, I could have filled in the second '?' with the previous information. I am, I'm happy to say, no Wagnerian, so feel no shame.

Will someone else oblige with the reference?

Comment

The storm sequence at the beginning of Walkure?

Nice clue, vinteuil. And well worked out, Don.

Comment

Yes, I could have filled in the second '?' with the previous information. I am, I'm happy to say, no Wagnerian, so feel no shame.

Will someone else oblige with the reference?
              Don - absolutely no shame to be felt. But even a non-Wagnerian might like the "Winterstürme" in Act I sc 3 of Walküre...

Congratulations - over to you for X - or wd you prefer Y, Z, .... or A?

Comment

Thanks, vint.

(Danger of turning into the Vint and Don Show? - I never know which one is which, do you?)

Anyway, I claim rights of ullage and spillage to leap over 'X', and happen to have a 'Y' which I prepared earlier. Composed a few cycles ago, it never saw the light of day, due to my gross incompetence in not being able to answer the previous question, whatever that was.

It's a straighforward musical cryptic, rather than the 'rule of three', but, hey, here goes anyway:

What Y started in a cave, but subsequently grew by at least six factors under a female’s jurisdiction?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  But 'anyway' is a red-herring. Altho' it is in one sense one of last answer. But then so is everything in this text...
                  Quite.....
                  I'm thinking of introducing a sub-Corrie sub-thread investigating the relationship between the names of characters and the names of the people who play them. For example, how many instances have there been over the years of both parties having the same Christian name? I've spotted two in this week's Radio Times: Sally (Webster/Dynevor) and of course the incomparable Betty (Williams/Driver).

Comment

(Danger of turning into the Vint and Don Show?)
                    Don't worry - I'm quite happy to chat with fellow Corriephiles until or unless one of us comes somwehere close to understanding a question and having a stab at the answer.

Comment

Yellow?

Comment

Or rather, Yellow River (Cantata)...

Comment

The Yellow River Cantata was said to have been composed in a cave. It was later appropriated by Madame Mao and formed the basis for the Yellow River Concerto - might you be referring to the blooming of a million (six '0's) flowers?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                            Don't worry - I'm quite happy to chat with fellow Corriephiles
                            OK - I missed a few episodes - so, who was this "Jeff" chap dating Sally last night? Temporary/permanent new character?
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Ahh, the 6 "0"s eluded me but that is a very elegant explanation. My more prosaic one would have been: 4 versions of the Cantata + 1 violin concerto version + 1 piano concerto version.

Comment

Dunno - but he's got to be dodgy, 'cos GAIL actually made her excuses and left, eyelids unfluttered.

Comment

Working...
                                X