X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    as if I would ................ ............ the very idea

a Z

born in the home of the Metastasio theatre, studied with Alessandro and worked in the Paraguyan "Reductions"
    Domenico Zipoli (October 17, 1688 – January 2, 1726) was an Italian Baroque composer, born in Prarto, home of the Metstasio Theatre. . He became a Jesuit in order to work in the Reductions of Paraguay. In 1708 he briefly studied under Alessandro Scarlatti in Naples

Comment

brilliant lightning work

we have come full circle ..... you have the honours
      Last edited by mercia; 20-01-12, 05:57.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Domenico Zipoli
        Oh 'im... yeah, I done 'im before... Jesuit... Paraguay... bla bla bla...

Talking of bla bla bla, I've encountered one of the best names ever for a lawyer, in the 3rd series of the US comedy show (brilliant it is too!) called 'Arrested Development'

Their dodgy lawyer is called Bob Loblaw.

Try saying it with an American accent....

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          wam, bam, thank you am
          brilliant lightning work

we have come full circle ..... you have the honours
          Okely dokely - let's get this game rolling. Momentum is needed ...

What A, while also being a place of avian interest in Dorset, connects a patriotic composer and a related composer of a paen to female beauty?

The stop-watch is ...ON

Comment

Originally posted by mercia

Comment

Arne?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                Arne?
                Happy New Year rubbers! Grand to see you back in here

Care to explain why it is Arne (cos it is )?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Happy New Year rubbers! Grand to see you back in here

Care to explain why it is Arne (cos it is )?
                  And a very happy new year to you Ammy, and to one and all, with apologies for my absence from the boards of late. Although Caliban professes yesterday to have been assiduously working, he did manage to find time to join me for a rather splendid luncheon, during which I was by turns gently chided and coaxed to return.

I believe Arne is popular with the so-called twitchers of Dorset. I have not been there myself, although I am familiar with Chesil Beach. As for Dogger Bank....not tried that yet.

Is the relation the composer Michael Arne, Thomas's son? Thankfully Wikipedia is back up and it lists all his works, although despite my probing I'm afraid I hit a barrier. Hymen?

Comment

And a very happy new year to you Ammy, and to one and all, with apologies for my absence from the boards of late. Although Caliban professes yesterday to have been assiduously working, he did manage to find time to join me for a rather splendid luncheon, during which I was by turns gently chided and coaxed to return.

I believe Arne is popular with the so-called twitchers of Dorset. I have not been there myself, although I am familiar with Chesil Beach. As for Dogger Bank....not tried that yet.

Is the relation the composer Michael Arne, Thomas's son? Thankfully Wikipedia is back up and it lists all his works, although despite my probing I'm afraid I hit a barrier. Hymen?
                    Arne senior is credited with writing Rule Britannia abnd his son Thos came up with The Lass With the Delicate Air The RSPB has a place at Arne in Dorset

Loved Dogger Bank

Be soon with B, I say - Be soon!

Comment

Which famous son of Siena, who recorded for Decca and DG, shares a first name with a famous creator of automotive art?

Comment

Ettore Bastianini?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          Ettore Bastianini?
                          Seven minutes! It's just not quick enough, Vinteuil.

C'mon! C'mon! Be quick with C

Comment

Good Lord, rubbers I do declare...

You have to watch old vindebourgogne, he's like greased lightning when he's a mind to it...

How was Michael Sheen's Hamlet?

Comment

... why thank you! (the other Ettore is, of course, Bugatti... )

To use your words, "a rather splendid luncheon" awaits. And then a complicated afternoon. But I'll be dreaming of a C...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

How was Michael Sheen's Hamlet?
                                As fine as the wine we enjoyed at lunchtime. Young and full-bodied. Perhaps the most extraordinary thing was the fact that a performance of such calibre comes so cheap. Tickets at the Young Vic cost £10. That, coupled with the fact that I wasn't charged for ANY of the drink at the restaurant bar a bottle of mineral water, made yesterday a bit of a bargain. And to delve into your kind gift of that exquisite Faure box set before retiring was the icing on the cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X