Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Oh, I get it! <doh> ]

Yes

[loved it]

... details?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      ...and more lovely, I would warrant.

V for Victory, but we can't really be bothered to explain it. The dreary crooners are Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) anagram of MoD (geddit?)
      and it's the title of an opera by your old friend Richard 'Rod me' B... Must I go on?

EDIT: Oh, praises be, Vints has done it!
      So sorry to learn that you found my lower-caste question so unchallenging/distasteful/inappropriate. Perhaps you'd like to issue some guidelines to help me avoid further faux pas.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        The others surely easy now???
        Come along, now, folks ...don't be shy ... all you've got to do next is set an X/Y/Z question that doesn't upset the resident QSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
          QSP.
          wozzat?

Comment

Wot, still no answers?
            QSP = Question Suitability (or Standards) Police.
            If somebody doesn't answer your 'W' question soon, I might have to oblige. (Now there's an incentive to you and others to get in first!)

Comment

... aw, go on norfolk! You know you want to

I fear my recent questioning has led to Board paralysis. I think it may be time for me to take my last bow and retire to my bee-keeping in the Sussex Downs...

Comment

... aw, go on norfolk! You know you want to

I fear my recent questioning has led to Board paralysis. I think it may be time for me to take my last bow and retire to my bee-keeping in the Sussex Downs...
                Oh don't retire vints! I assumed we were waiting for mercia to finish it off as he got the Hazlitt .... Glad you liked The Smiths clip! So we wait for Norfy to finish it off (I would but I know I'll be offline from middday onwards)

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                  So sorry to learn that you found my lower-caste question so unchallenging/distasteful/inappropriate. Perhaps you'd like to issue some guidelines to help me avoid further faux pas.
                  A touch sensitive, aren't we, NB?

It was the requirement to furnish the explanation for the somewhat slow Caliban, rather than the question, that was tedious. Personally speaking, I found the question rather diverting, especially the OMD element.

Note to self: must not post posts that could be mis-interpreted, or upset anyone (unless they are somewhat slow)

Comment

Is that a threat vindetable or a series of cryptic clues? Bees... His Last Bow...

This one's been a poser as (1) it's taken me and perhaps others out of the music comfort zone (2) work's been a bastard for the last 24 hours and (3) side chat for which I am partly and substantially responsible has rendered the clues etc rather diffuse for quick restorative visits...

To précis: We need

...an unmusical Ring
                    an unmusical Ode
                    some unmusical Songs

from the years

1855; 1807; 1794

Mercia has established that 'an unmusical Pygmalion' was from Liber Amoris (1823) and that the W is thus WILLIAM (Hazlitt).

May I hasard Wordsworth's Ode 'Intimations of Immortality' from 1807? Like Pygmalion, the thing itself is not musical but has musical connections i.e. set by composers. Is the same true of the other 2?

PS if it was a threat, vindetable: don't go!!!
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 26-01-12, 13:03.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

It was the requirement to furnish the explanation for the somewhat slow Caliban
                      Taking your life in your hands a bit with that remark, aren't you, rubbers?
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 26-01-12, 13:04. Reason: Adding a :grr:
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

It was the requirement to furnish the explanation for the somewhat slow Caliban
                        "Somewhat slow Caliban" He speaks very highly of you as well!
                        Edit: just seen Cali's and the unmusical ring is of course William Makepeace Thackeray The Rose & The Ring I think. (1855)
                        Last edited by Guest; 26-01-12, 12:39. Reason: typo

Comment

Year looks right for Blake's Songs...

Comment

Year looks right for Blake's Songs...
                            Of course it is, Songs of Innocence and Experience (1794) Honestly, I did point out the answer was William at 11.30pm last night! It's not just Caliban who is a bit slow!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Mercia has established that 'an unmusical Pygmalion' was from Liver Amoris (1823) and that the W is thus WILLIAM (Hazlitt).

May I hasard Wordsworth's Ode 'Intimations of Immortality' from 1807? Like Pygmalion, the thing itself is not musical but has musical connections i.e. set by composers. Is the same true of the other 2?

1794 William Blake "Songs of Innocence and Experience": there is a complete setting by William Bolcom (dating from 1984) as well as numerous settings of individual poems.

1855 William Makepeace Thackeray "The Rose and the Ring"

Without the specified date there are at least four other Williams with Pygmalion credentials.

Comment

Note to self: must not post posts that could be mis-interpreted, or upset anyone (unless they are somewhat slow)
                                Keep digging....
                                (Actually, I'm quite happy tootling along in the AA slow lane - I know my place - but reserve the right to take umbrage when certain people repeatedly cast aspersions on questions based on what I consider an admirably broad range of musical interests).

Comment

Working...
                                X