This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Oh, I think I know the first one. Andy Summers was a member of The Police and had a solo release called XYZ? Don't know about the other two elements yet .......... (sorry to be a bit slow, but are the other elements therefore answerable to Y and Z or am I yet again deluded?)
    Brilliant, Anna. Your knowledge of the dubious backwaters of British popular music is rivalled only by that chippy chap from Felixstowe. Keep going in the same vein and ignore the solitary Y and Z...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      I am afraid I am still upset that we have blithely leapfrogged over X, (and also to complete this particular round of the alphabet).

It is good to have you back rubbers

Things had fallen terribly into laxity and désuétude....
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        désuétude....
        I love that word, too. And those accents are enough to make a grown man swoon

Comment

How does XYZ connect the following:
          - a policeman;
          - two yesmen;
          - three frenchmen?
          Are the three Frenchmen known for something non-musical?

Comment

The three Frenchmen was a diplomatic episode with America during the administration of John Adams and the 3 Agents were referred to as Agent X,Y & Z. It led to an undeclared naval war called the Quasi-War
            The two yesmen were probably Chris Squires and Alan White who formed XYZ with ex-Zep Jimmy Page.
            Another non-musical question!! That is, if I am right ... So the answer is also an A, is it not?

Comment

The three Frenchmen was a diplomatic episode with America during the administration of John Adams and the 3 Agents were referred to as Agent X,Y & Z. It led to an undeclared naval war called the Quasi-War
              The two yesmen were probably Chris Squires and Alan White who formed XYZ with ex-Zep Jimmy Page.
              Another non-musical question!! That is, if I am right ... So the answer is also an A, is it not?
              Absolument parfait, ma belle.

Yes, it was a very unmusical question. But very à la mode, don't you think? (Note grave accent)

A for Anna

Comment

Yes, it was a very unmusical question. But very à la mode, don't you think? (Note grave accent)
                Oh, there's posh, look you!
                I don't have an A so will have to think of a quick one ........

Comment

OK, sorry this is not a very good one after the excellent one by rubbers, cobbled together in a hurry, but here goes:

An A by different composers linking: the subject in Paris, a Festival (whose composer could be confused with a German), a waltzing bird of prey, a quartet and the same A spelled in a different manner

There are 5 elements posted, not all elements need to be solved

Comment

Are we talking Yankees here?
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Are we talking Yankees here?
                      Oh yes we are Flay. Now, don't be coy and retiring, reveal all!

Comment

Well, so far:

An American in Paris - George Gershwin

The American string quartet - Antonín Dvořák

American Eagle Waltz - Offenbach

American Festival Overture - William Schuman

but I'm flummoxed with the same A spelled in a different manner
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Perfection, absolute perfection!! I said all elements did not have to have been got but the one spelt differently, surely you know this one, revised in 1927, it is scored for a very large, romantic orchestra with additional percussion (for eleven performers) including sirens (you know how fond I am of medical dramas! )

Comment

Varese (with a grave on the first e)
                            Ameriques (acute on the first e)

Comment

Varese (with a grave on the e)
                              Ameriques (acute on the e)
                              Amériques by French-born composer Edgard Varèse. Oh Look! She's showing off now and can do it forwards and backwards!! She can be very Bold!

Comment

Oh Look! She's showing off now and can do it forwards and backwards!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X