• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britten?

Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge;
    Became a Baronet;
    Composed Billy Budd.

Comment

Oh Rats! I knew that was too easy, must have been the fastest time ever in solving one. Over to you then for C

Comment

Anna,

A nice, neat and elegant "B"; I wish I could match this. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

A straightforward "C", methinks, following my earlier Solveig debacle.

What "C" links bread, Lorca and the singular emoticon ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
          Anna,

A nice, neat and elegant "B"; I wish I could match this. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

A straightforward "C", methinks, following my earlier Solveig debacle.

What "C" links bread, Lorca and the singular emoticon ?
          Crumb? (George Crumb for Lorca)

Comment

It's quick-fire Wednesday.

Over to you, rubbernecker, for D...

Comment

Although 'SG' appears to be the most common abbreviation for Singapore, you will find 'SN' in the CIA World Fact Book (yes, I know...), and also on acronymfinder.com, thefreedictionary.com and mytravelguide.com. Of course, had the second violinist been called- oh, I don't know, Siegfried Gnispelstein....
              I hope nobody feels that they were misled.

Comment

I was just going to post Crumbs! But I had it as the crumbs mentioned in Lorca's Dona Rosita and the singular emotion as love crumbs (slang for being in unequal relationship) It seems our brains are very sharp today!

Comment

Anna - thanks to you, I've not only encountered the expression 'love crumbs' for the first time, but I've also discovered that e e cummings wrote a poem which includes a reference to 'love-crumbs '(his hyphen, not mine). The things one learns, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                    e e cummings wrote a poem which includes a reference to 'love-crumbs '(his hyphen, not mine). The things one learns, eh?
                    ee cummings using punctuation? Well, I never did!

As for Anna's "love crumbs", again, I never did.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                      . . . you will find 'SN' in the CIA World Fact Book (yes, I know...), and also on acronymfinder.com, thefreedictionary.com and mytravelguide.com. . . .
                      Thanks. Thought I had seen SN somewhere - but afterwards couldn't find it again (cf my previous post on that).
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Ofcachap, indeed this thread is very educational! If one were devious then cummings could in fact be part of the puzzle's answer.

Comment

What D admired one Richard while attacking another, couldn't decide between viola and cello, and required three days to perform one work?

Comment

Is it d'Indy?

d'Indy admired Richard Wagner but opposed the programmatic aesthetic of Richard Strauss in works such as 'Eine Alpensinfonie' (d'indy's own 'Symphonie sur un chant montagnard français' and 'Jour d ’ été à la montagne' offer an aesthetic of a non-programmatical basis);

He wrote a Lied for cello OR viola;

The three days to perform one work - hmm, this is where my logic falters. There is an asteroid called 11530 d'Indy which has an aphelion of 2.8249440, which is close to 3...

Comment

Carl Dahlhaus?

Comment

You're both warmish - Tapiola is correct that he is a composer, and Ofca has his nationality. There aren't any really cryptic clues, certainly nothing to do with astronomy, although the existence of the D'Indy asteroid is sure to prove a fascinating piece of dinner party gossip

Tapiola has also identified the two Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X