X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felix Draeseke developed a cross between a viola and cello, called a violetta. His work Mysterium Christus took 3 days to perform, he admired R. Wagner and hated R. Strauss.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Felix Draeseke developed a cross between a viola and cello, called a violetta. His work Mysterium Christus took 3 days to perform, he admired R. Wagner and hated R. Strauss.
      Well done, Anna. A textbook answer. It was actually Salome which seems to have provoked him. And I think it's a Violotta rather than Violetta.
      Some composers, I rather fear, are obscure for a reason, although you can make up your own mind here:

The violin concerto (performed without an orchestra) has quite a felicitous chord change at 0.18 in the First Movement which rather put me in mind of the Wessendonck Lieder, but the second subject is truly banal.

Anyway, over to you for E, Anna.

Comment

I am silent in admiration
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Oh. I really didn't want that to be right as I have to think of another puzzle! OK, this will have to be another easy one.

Which famous E in his early years was associated with a textile, composed many pieces featuring colours, and dedicated a work to a Queen

Comment

Ellington (Duke)?

Textiles - sartorial elegance;
            Black, Brown and Beige, Symphony in Black, Mood Indigo etc.
            Queen's Suite - for Queen Elizabeth ll

Actually, not at all sure about the first one.

Comment

"What D admired one Richard while attacking another, couldn't decide between viola and cello, and required three days to perform one work?"

Is it anything to do with me?

3VS (Richard)

Comment

First one is the Cotton Club, I think

Comment

Tapiola, you are far too clever by half!! Or, I am too simple! Yes, it was The Cotton Club, Black & Tan, Mood Indigo, Blue Ramble, etc., etc., and The Queens Suite dedicated to Elizabeth II. He also won 12 Grammys and was awarded a Pulitzer Prize posthumously. Great bloke and brilliant film scores with Billy Strayhorn.

Goodness, we are on a roll today, zipping through the alphabet. So it's your F.

Comment

Cotton Club

I really was stuck there for a while, Anna, and could not get my head away from Elgar (Worcester - porcelain. No hang on, porcelain is not a textile etc etc.) Good clue.

I am working on an "F"...

Comment

I can never get my head away from Elgar - nor do I ever wish to! In fact, I've just been listening to the Elgar/Payne Symphony No. 3 while disposing of yet more spent lubricating greases. That Anna knows a few things, doesn't she?

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                        I can never get my head away from Elgar - nor do I ever wish to! In fact, I've just been listening to the Elgar/Payne Symphony No. 3 while disposing of yet more spent lubricating greases. That Anna knows a few things, doesn't she?
                        I wouldn't say I know that much Ofcachap! But I certainly like Duke Ellington. All this lubricating grease, do you work in a garage or, seeing as you are in Felixstowe, somthing to do with boats? Sorry, just being nosy while we wait for Tapiola to come up with something fiendish.

Comment

Time for a slightly more cryptic one, he said, preparing defensive posture...

What is the "F" in common? 3 elements, 1 word answer.

The blurry-eyed Berg cunningly examines his Lyric Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                            The blurry-eyed Berg cunningly examines his Lyric Suite
                            But is he looking at his Lyric Suite or that of Edvard Grieg? Or, is this a rather technical one, to do with Berg's numerology and palindrome 12 tone thingys. Could one of the Fs be Hannah Fuchs and anothe F be fermata. I'm sure it's not but just thought I would ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                              Ofca - While we await Anna's appearance could you please explain the link between SN and Singapore. (Told you I'm new to this and need more practice).
                              Piano,

Last night I also didn't think I could find SN for Singapore. But now if I google 'Singapore SN' there are a host of entries coming up right at the top. Strange - perhaps it was getting too late?

Comment

All this lubricating grease, do you work in a garage or, seeing as you are in Felixstowe, somthing to do with boats? Sorry, just being nosy while we wait for Tapiola to come up with something fiendish.
                                Well, he's certainly done that!
                                Oh, yes ... why I am apparently permanently lubricated...
                                Much of my work relates to German-language patent specifications and the inevitable consequent litigation, and it just so happens that this week there's been a lot of stuff on the environmentally friendly disposal of used lubricating grease. Next week it could be ...oh, I don't know...laporoscopy, safety harnesses, catalysts.
                                It's every bit as unglamorous as it sounds, I can assure you!

Comment

Working...
                                X