This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Yes, I did, but we were referred to as Form Consuls!
    I'm sure you were really a Form Corsair. Or a Form Capri...

Comment

Hello all. Well done mercia in all particulars. They all attended Uppingham. That Moeran was an interesting fellow!

When I got the U question I wasn't sure if I could think of one. The first last night was a bit convoluted and on reflection not very easy. That was when I decided to do the one for Uppingham.

A mixture of not being sure how easy the Uppingham would be and a personal wish to go back to Plan A, totally rework it, and make it into a reasonable question led to what is now the second question. I am very satisfied with it.

But I don't mind if we now move onto V and leave the second U to another time or leave the latter on the table for someone to enjoy solving or even a combination of the two in parallel. Whatever people would prefer to do.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lateralthinking1;126455
        But I don't mind if we now move onto V and leave the second U to another time or leave the latter on the table for someone to enjoy solving or even a combination of the two in parallel. Whatever people would prefer to do.[/QUOTE]

Is no one else participating today?

The second U is Usher:

"The Wife of Usher's Well"
        Usher Hall - venue for the 1972 Eurovision Song Contest (won by Vicky Leandros, Baroness von Ruffin)
        La chûte de la maison Usher - Debussy, completed by Juan Allende-Blin

Comment

I hope you have a V question subcontra, because I don't

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            I hope you have a V question subcontra, because I don't
            I will get working on one shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              Is no one else participating today?

The second U is Usher:

"The Wife of Usher's Well"
              Usher Hall - venue for the 1972 Eurovision Song Contest (won by Vicky Leandros, Baroness von Ruffin)
              La chûte de la maison Usher - Debussy, completed by Juan Allende-Blin
              It doesn't seem as if anyone is about at the moment, certainly I will only be able to look in occasionally until a lot later so won't be playing.

But to go back to the question of changing the rules, I saw Lat's puzzle last night and started working on it. This morning it had gone and a reworked plus a new one had taken its place. If you are editing clues you need to put Edit and then what you have done, and why. Sorry to put School Consul head on! It's just to avoid confusion. Up to subcontra and mercia to decide who sets V, both have an equally valid claim (and don't suggest they both set one! )
              Edit: Sorry, crossposted

Comment

Yes scb. Very well done. Obviously too easy!

"The Wife of Usher's Well" is a ballad in Scott's Minstrelsey of the Scottish Border.

Vicky Leandros, a Greek singer, who is now Baroness von Ruffin, won Eurovision in 1972 at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh. She was representing Luxembourg and the song, in French, was "Apres Toi". It later charted as "Come What May". The competition should have been held in Monaco as they had won the year earlier but the British were asked to step in with a venue.

I had originally mentioned three operas. They were all about The Fall of the House of Usher. The first was Debussy. The other two were by Philip Glass (1987) and Peter Hamill (1991), the latter a rock opera.

The story by Poe was first published in Burton's Gentleman's Magazine in 1839, hence the earlier reference to Burton's. Eleanor from Hull, who I also mentioned, was "Lady Eleanor", a song that the Tyneside group Lindisfarne took into the Top 10 in 1972. It was written by group member and local hero, Alan Hull, and was about Poe's story.

Then there was the performer of "My Way" but not as you would know it. "My Way" was the first big cd by an American recording artist known simply as Usher, hence not I think the Anka song made popular by Sinatra. This Usher has won numerous awards including seven Grammy Awards. At the end of 2009, Usher was named the number one Hot 100 artist of the 2000s decade.

However, this is where my pop music knowledge becomes hazy. On balance I just felt that the question was too poppy light, hence the introduction of some weightier components as well as simplification!

(As for "edit", I seem to have "edit" showing when I don't edit and not showing when I do. There had been no responses for over half an hour so I assumed that everyone had gone to bed and decided to do the same.)
                Last edited by Guest; 31-01-12, 20:06.

Comment

As requested by mercia:

A V to link:

(a) two disparate music festivals
                  (b) two cantatas by Rossini
                  (c) some songs by Orff

Comment

As requested by mercia:

A V to link:

(c) some songs by Orff
                    The V festival is held in Chelmsford and somewhere else - Staffordshire I think. The answer is V or Virgin, the company that organises those festivals.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      (As for "edit", I seem to have "edit" showing when I don't edit and not showing when I do. There had been no responses for over half an hour so I assumed that everyone had gone to bed and decided to do the same.)
                      Yes, I could see you had edited something at 01.06 but you had not said, in the body of the message, what and why you had edited. It's not surprising there were no responses, often, particularly at night, when people have to get up early the next day, a question is left hanging until the morning, or even mid-morning. It's not a race, there are no points or prizes, sometimes it's a team effort, don't be in such a hurry Lats! Chillax!

Comment

My apologies Anna. I wouldn't like to think that you were working on it until late.

I am going to have a quieter day today so that it evens it out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          The V festival is held in Chelmsford and somewhere else - Staffordshire I think. The answer is V or Virgin, the company that organises those festivals.
                          No. The festivals in question are musically disparate, not geographically disparate.

Comment

Only 10 mins ago had chance to look in. I had expected us to have passed the V and gone on to the next letter or beyond. However, it seems our number has dwindled, due to work, family commitments, stolen credit cards, etc. I did have a squint at Rossini, couldn't tie up one of his V cantantas to a Music Festival. Probably be like the No. 4 bus, you wait hours and three come along together!
                            Figured out why it's so quiet, last day to file Tax Return to The Revenue!
                            Last edited by Guest; 31-01-12, 18:05.

Comment

As requested by mercia:

A V to link:

(c) some songs by Orff

Venice?

There is classical music festival in Venice, Italy and a beach music festival in Venice, Ca.
                              There are Venetian connections for Rossini's cantatas.
                              Not sure about the Orff elelment

(PS brain cells otherwise engaged these days, sorry not to be more present here )
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Oh, I had Viaggio Actully, any fule no ........ I know nothing!

Comment

Working...
                                X