X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To borrow the notion of meetings, what Z should come to mind if you heard that the progenitor of a gentlemanly fantasia and the progenitor of an unbelievable wind-player met in Donostia?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      To borrow the notion of meetings, what Z should come to mind if you heard that the progenitor of a gentlemanly fantasia and the progenitor of an unbelievable wind-player met in Donostia?
      The Incredible Flutist is a ballet composed by Walter Piston in 1938 + Rodrigo - Fantasia para un Gentilhombre ... both composed for Nicanor Zabaleta who was born In Donostria?
      Last edited by Guest; 01-02-12, 22:49. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        The Incredible Flutist is a ballet composed by Walter Piston in 1938 + Rodrigo - Fantasia para un Gentilhombre ... Zabaleta?

I abase myself at your feet. Brilliant work in 6 whole minutes....

Plaudits and a big fat A+ to you! Not to mention a gold if you just explain Donostia for the boys and girls...

Comment

Plaudits and a big fat A+ to you! Not to mention a gold
          [/COLOR]
          Muchos gracias el senor abogado

This A took what sounds suspiciously like ten liquid containers of a certain hue and created a set of variations with title relating to some ancient Mediterranean tales. This A also wrote a concerto and a symphony for a single instrument and a march for three oboes, bassoon & voices commemorating the death of a beloved pet that might have inspired a Monty Python sketch. A is alleged to have died under the weight of God's law.What A is it?
          Last edited by Guest; 01-02-12, 23:11. Reason: clarification of question - sorry

Comment

Dunno Donostia?

PS Admirably concise A question, ammy

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 01-02-12, 23:13. Reason: Taking the **** out of amateur51 :-)

Comment

Dunno Donostia?

PS Admirably concise A question, ammy

Hoping to give scb a run for his euro

At least it might give mercs something to think about at sparrowfart
              Last edited by Guest; 01-02-12, 23:31. Reason: trypo

Comment

Albinoni?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Albinoni?
                  I'm afraid not, anton

Comment

Hoping to give scb a run for his euro

At least it might give mercs something to think about a sparrowfart

I think the sparrows must fart quite loudly in mercia's neck of the woods... Did I see a 4:30am posting this morning?

Great to see anton back again Why old Albie, anton?

Comment

This A took what sounds suspiciously like ten liquid containers of a certain hue and created a set of variations with title relating to some ancient Mediterranean tales. This A also wrote a concerto and a symphony for a single instrument and a march for three oboes, bassoon & voices commemorating the death of a beloved pet that might have inspired a Monty Python sketch. A is alleged to have died under the weight of God's law.What A is it?
                      Did you mean 3 Concertos and 4 Symphonies? All in the same Opus as the Variations?

Comment

He seems to have written a piece for 3 oboes and a bassoon but on further research no voice or Monty Python!
                        There was on yet further research a trumpet ........maybe one to leave for the worm catcher....

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          Did you mean 3 Concertos and 4 Symphonies? All in the same Opus as the Variations?
                          Nope. I think the question does not read to give that possibility, surely

The question revolves around 4 compositions - a set of variations; a concerto for solo instrument; a symphony for solo instrument; and a march

Comment

Nope. I think the question does not read to give that possibility, surely

The question revolves around 4 compositions - a set of variations; a concerto for solo instrument; a symphony for solo instrument; and a march
                            I was looking at Charles-Valentin Alkan (Opus 39 covers all except the march, which has no Opus no.).

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              I was looking at Charles-Valentin Alkan (Opus 39 covers all except the march, which has no Opus no.).
                              Ooooh - care to elaborate, scb?

Comment

Ooooh - care to elaborate, scb?
                                Opus 39: Douze études dans tous les tons mineurs
                                (for solo piano)

Nos. 4-7 are labelled as the four movements of a sympony
                                Nos. 8-10 are labelled as the three movements of a concerto
                                No. 12 is "Le festin d'Esope (Aesop's feast)", a set of variations

Marcia funebre sulla morte d’un papagallo, 2S, T, B, 3 ob, bn (1859) is the march on the death of a parrot.

Comment

Working...
                                X