X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edward Harper (1941 - 2009) was born in Taunton ... He studied at Christ Church, Oxford and the Royal College of Music, London, where his teachers included Gordon Jacob ... important works include Homage to Thomas Hardy, a Cheltenham Festival commission in 1990.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

And the third one might be Andrew Downes, born Birmingham 1950, and his opera Far from the Madding Crowd premiered at the Thomas Hardy Festival 2006?
      Last edited by Guest; 03-02-12, 12:35. Reason: more info

Comment

It might Indeed, Anna
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Edward Harper composed an opera Fanny Robin, based on episodes from Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Could somebody be more specific please regarding Mr. Harper - taking into account the wording of the question and the possible need for a tie-breaker to help award the next question to the most deserving party?
            EDIT: Cross-posted with Flay, who I think deserves the 'I'. Any idea on the other Harper opera concerned?

Comment

"With The Mellstock Quire in 1988 Harper returned to Hardy for inspiration, for a taut comedy based on episodes from Under the Greenwood Tree."
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                Edward Harper composed an opera Fanny Robin, based on episodes from Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd.

Did all the birds of the air fall a sighing and a sobbing?

Comment

"With The Mellstock Quire in 1988 Harper returned to Hardy for inspiration, for a taut comedy based on episodes from Under the Greenwood Tree."
                  That's the one. Well done, Flay, please set us an 'I'

Comment

Gosh, Is aren't easy. Try this:

An I to connect a Constant choral composer, a harsh fiddler, and a Jewish songwriter’s story

(I've a sneaky suspicion we might have been here before)
                    Last edited by Flay; 03-02-12, 14:11. Reason: easy typo. Didn't mean to write "east," it wasn't a clue <doh>
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Déjà vu

Is there anybody there ? https://evbdn.eventbrite.com/s3-s3/e...housebasic.jpg
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Déjà vu

Is there anybody there ?
                        I am, now, but haven't had any time to consider things. I thought by Constant you meant Constant Lambert ...... but that went cold. Is it Biblical?

Comment

Great photo.

Been pondering, not got anywhere yet...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            I am, now ... Is it Biblical?
                            Phew, it was so lonely (actually I had been out for a couple of hours so was relieved that nobody was waiting here complaining!

Well actually the answer is biblical. Looking back, constant choral is not a very good clue. Swap the words around: a latin choir (genitive) and the first Roman Emperor
                            Last edited by Flay; 03-02-12, 18:12. Reason: "of the choir" if I can remember my 2nd form Latin)
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Chori Augustus...?

Comment

The "harsh fiddler" might be the best starting point. A simple pun on the surname of a fiddler (trying to hurry things along: dining at friend's early tonight, then off in the early morning to the frozen north for a week)
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X