This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    The only other item of trivia I would add is that I remember asking Evelyn Rothwell (Lady B) on a visit to our school to sign my LP copy of Italian Oboe Concertos featuring the Cimarosa. Which she did, graciously, and I still have it.
    Seconded - Lucky you!

I managed to get myself into the Evelyn Barbirolli Memorial Concert at the Bridgewater Hall in June 2009 almost by accident. Mrs Flay and I were visiting the daughter. They planned a day's shopping which I didn't fancy. So on the way over I checked what was on and found this lunchtime concert still had tickets (and it was free!). I had assumed it would be in the big hall and I would be anonymous, so my casual jeans & T-shirt would go un-noticed. Unfortunately the event was in a smaller room, a much more intimate and very well-dressed function, to my embarassment. This was soon forgotten as it was an enchanting event, and included a number of premieres composed for the event.

But I would have loved to have met the lady herself.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      One of the works in the clue has been performed at Prom concerts.
      well, I assume it's not Desmond Dekker!

Comment

No, not Ms Parton!
        I think Dolly's are quadruple Ds!
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Oh dear... This thread appears rapidly to be D-generating

Comment

Oh dear... This thread appears rapidly to be D-generating
            ... whereas, if you tried re-generating ...
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Delia Derbyshire?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Delia Derbyshire?

... care to supply the missing details, Anna?

Comment

Delia Derbyshire?
                  WHO??!?!?!?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    WHO??!?!?!?
                    That's element 3 covered!

Comment

... care to supply the missing details, Anna?
                      well, she was Berio's assistant, there was the Dr. Who Proms and she did something with John Peel's voice. I love her radiophonic, I spend many happy hours playing with the dr. who radiophonic http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/class...honatron.shtml Gosh, the Tardis had me me tremors! I do recall the time, on the way to work, I chanced upon the Tardis parked up ..........

Oh, well, off now. If I am even half right can I nomitate someone else

Comment

well, she was Berio's assistant, there was the Dr. Who Proms and she did something with John Peel's voice. I love her radiophonic, I spend many happy hours playing with the dr. who radiophonic http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/class...honatron.shtml Gosh, the Tardis had me me tremors! I do recall the time, on the way to work, I chanced upon the Tardis parked up ..........

Oh, well, off now. If I am even half right can I nomitate someone else

I like to think of Delia Derbyshire in these terms: she played John Barry to Ron Grainer's Monty Norman

There was a great BBC4 prog on the work of the RW recently, in which she was given her belated and due recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                          Well, my favourites were always a couple of her 45s.

Comment

Not merely "half right", Anna: the full wotsit!

Delia Derbyshire, one of the great pioneers of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, responsible for turning a tune scribbled on the back of a napkin one lunchtime by Ron Grainer into (one of) the most instantly recognizable TV tunes ever. (No; not Gardener's World! The Doctor Who theme - she was responsible for the "diddledidum" driving rhythm, and her electronic version remains the definitive version.

Oh, and she worked with Berio at Dartington.
                            And sought to eek out her BBC salary (she didn't get a penny in royalties) by making "novelty" Pop singles, including the John Peel track mentioned.

Oh, don't be modest, Anna: the E is yours by all that's right and just!

Comment

I like to think of Delia Derbyshire in these terms: she played John Barry to Ron Grainer's Monty Norman
                              BRILLIANT, rubbers! (I shall nick this, if you don't mind!)

There was a great BBC4 prog on the work of the RW recently, in which she was given her belated and due recognition.
                              Alchemists of Sound - well due a re-play!

Comment

BRILLIANT, rubbers! (I shall nick this, if you don't mind!)
                                Be my guest

Comment

Working...
                                X