This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Many apologies for my enforced absence - we've had a rather traumatic few hours here!
    Well thank goodness the good citizens of Suffolk are indeed good citizens and handed in the card! What a palavar it is, cancelling cards and waiting for replacements, quite traumatic indeed. A good stiff drink for you and Mrs. Norfy is recommended.

And Lats, there's so many answers now on this thread, can you do a tidy resume of the correct solution please, just to keep things tidy for us who have only just looked in?

Comment

Ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        I am really sorry to hear about Mrs Norfy's misfortune. It's a horrible experience, and such hassle. I hope the plumber is not too costly either! Poor you.
        Heartily seconded, Flay. A very nasty experience for poor Mrs Norfs

And yes, here's to a resonably priced plumber too - the twenty-first century write large

Best wishes all round, Norfs

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Ball.
          An earlier expert on plainsong.

Comment

I would think Frere.

Comment

I would think Frere.
              Got there at last:

Walter Frere, founder member of the Community of the Resurrection, Bishop of Truro 1923–1935

Sir Ivor Atkins, briefly assistant organist at Truro Cathedral
              Sir John Dykes Bower, started his professional career as Organist at Truro Cathedral

Giles Farnaby, composer of 51 pieces (all except one (two?) of his known keyboard works) in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, born in Truro
              Last edited by subcontrabass; 30-01-12, 23:18.

Comment

Yes but remember that it is spin to describe anything other than Elizabeth's collection as virginals. Hers were the only ones described as virginals on publication.

Anna - scb's resume should help with your question.

Sorry to hear about Mrs N's news.
                Last edited by Guest; 30-01-12, 23:01.

Comment

We now await a U from Lateralthinking1.

Comment

What U links

- An English counter-tenor born in Manchester who is the son of a professional golfer
                    - The leader of a string quartet that lasted 39 years whose son is a professional violinist
                    - An Anglo-Irish classical composer who lived with gypsies to learn East Anglian folk songs

or a U that links

- A halloween ballad in Scott's Minstrelsey of the Scottish Border
                    - The place in Scotland where a Greek baroness sang in a winning way
                    - An opera started by a Frenchman and completed by a Chilean sixty years on
                    Last edited by Guest; 31-01-12, 02:06.

Comment

- An English counter-tenor born in Manchester who is the son of a professional golfer
                      - The leader of a string quartet that lasted 39 years whose son is a professional violinist
                      - An Anglo-Irish classical composer who lived with gypsies to learn East Anglian folk songs
                      thanks for the very straightforward clues, Lat1 - I can cope with them. Are you an old Uppinghamian? .......... like these three gentlemen:- Robin Blaze, Peter Cropper and E J Moeran. wikipedia is rather enigmatic about the gypsies - "no further details are available" U = Uppingham (School). I won't be greedy and attempt your other question. Whoever gets that can set V
                      Last edited by mercia; 31-01-12, 06:27.

Comment

Lat, are those two sets of puzzles different from the puzzle you posted at around 10.30 last night? <puzzled> Surely, if it's a multiple choice question mercia has solved the U and gets a V?

Comment

the three remaining clues lead to a different U

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            the three remaining clues lead to a different U
                            I know that mercia (I am not terminally puzzled! even though it's still early in the morning) but you cannot post two separate puzzles with different answers otherwise we'll land up in a complete muddle won't we? What happens if two people solve a different puzzle at exactly the same time, what happens when it comes to setting clues or giving answers, how to make clear what response refers to what query? Sorry, I may be in minority but it's completely against the rules, which are: one set of clues, one answer. But I'll wait and see what others think...

Comment

did you used to be a school prefect Anna ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                did you used to be a school prefect Anna ?
                                Yes, I did, but we were referred to as Form Consuls!
                                Edit: I'm offline now until mid morning
                                Last edited by Guest; 31-01-12, 09:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X