X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    Aldeburgh?
    no the answer is Apollo

what Apollo is connected to Mrs Sprague Coolidge ????

Comment

Is one of the odd couple Artemis? I really don't think I will get this one fully.

Comment

......The ballet Apollo is connected to Mrs ESC......Stravinsky.

Comment

Is one of the odd couple Artemis? I really don't think I will get this one fully.
          er, no
          are you offering another A word even though I've told you the answer is Apollo?

tell you what Lateral, you take over with a B question.... well done.........

the rest of my answer is Stravinsky's Apollo (or Apollon musagete) commissioned by Mrs Coolidge
          and the Apollo Theatre London where the female version of Neil Simon's The Odd Couple appeared in 2001

Comment

mercia, in truth I wasn't offering Artemis as a new A but clumsily trying to find some link with your Odd Couple. I hadn't realised that there had been a female version of Simon's play. I will think of a B question rewarded for effort if not much else. Thanks.

Comment

I hadn't realised that there had been a female version of Simon's play.
              in truth, nor had I till I thought up that silly question
              ah ......... the wonders of Alphabet Associations

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                ah ......... the wonders of Alphabet Associations
                Indeed. The first part of my last question came from things found in the course of attempting to answer the question before.

Comment

Sorry for the wait. I'm very tired this evening so this question isn't great. Because the answer is easy, I would like all of the parts of it to be identified (bit by bit is fine of course) if that isn't asking too much -

Which B was:

- Recommended to an English composer of Irish-Italian descent by a singer who was French but born to Italian parents in Spain

- Made popular by an American "Saint" who was arguably most famous for an "oriental" composition

- Would now often be associated with a guy from New York who in one way combines three European classical composers?
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-02-12, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    if that's a subtle hint directed at me I'm afraid it's past me by
                    Never seen Apollo 13, mercs?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Sorry for the wait. I'm very tired this evening so this question isn't great. Because the answer is easy, I would like all of the parts of it to be identified (bit by bit is fine of course) if that isn't asking too much -

Which B was:

- Recommended to an English composer of Irish-Italian descent by a singer who was French but born to Italian parents in Spain

- Made popular by an American "Saint" who was arguably most famous for an "oriental" composition

- Would now often be associated with a guy from New York who in one way combines three European classical composers?
                      The first clue suggests Vincenzo Bellini: Sir Arthur Sullivan composed the ballet L'Île Enchantée to be performed at the conclusion of a performance of La Sonnambula starring Adelina Patti.

That does not lead me to anything related to the other clues.

Comment

scb - You are very much in the right area in most respects but not with Bellini. The answer isn't ballet either.

Stick with the people. I suppose it would be fairer to say that the singer in my question made a recommendation first to a third party but accounts vary as to quite who said what and to whom.

How about finding some European composers for part three? One was Austrian and another was Czech.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-02-12, 01:30.

Comment

scb - You are very much in the right area in most respects but not with Bellini. The answer isn't ballet either.

Stick with the people. I suppose it would be fairer to say that the singer in my question made the recommendation via a third party but accounts vary as to quite who said what and to whom.

How about finding some European composers for part three? One was Austrian and another was Czech.
                          The first two seem to indicate the zither-banjo. Patti recommended Alfred D Cammeyer (inventor, performer, composer and (in partnership with Clifford Essex) manufacturer) to Sullivan. Cammeyer composed a piece called "Chinese Patrol".

Comment

You have the answer. Well done. The B is for banjo. As I understand it, Patti spotted Cammeyer playing the banjo and invited Sullivan to meet him to enjoy the banjo playing. This meeting happened. Sullivan was so impressed that he in turn suggested to Cammeyer he might wish to consider composing.

The Chinese Patrol is not what I anticipated. The oriental piece belongs to a different person and in another scenario. We probably need some of the other pieces to be found before we can move on to C.

Comment

.....I will help you a little bit more. The person with the oriental piece was quite close to Satchmo. As for the third person, you are looking for someone who combines in one way an Austrian, a Czech.....and a Hungarian composer.

Comment

You have the answer. Well done. The B is for banjo. As I understand it, Patti spotted Cammeyer playing the banjo and invited Sullivan to meet him to enjoy the banjo playing. This meeting happened. Sullivan was so impressed that he in turn suggested to Cammeyer he might wish to consider composing.

The Chinese Patrol is not what I anticipated. The oriental piece belongs to a different person and in another scenario. We probably need some of the other pieces to be found before we can move on to C.
                                Johnny St Cyr: Oriental Strut ?

Comment

Working...
                                X