• Show
Clear All

Feufollet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Feufollet.
      An elucidation would be most welcome, Lats

Comment

Thank you for your kind invitation am. I will have to edit this post as I have lost track of the audit. The question was....What F came from La Rochelle, hopped to Cow Island and inspired a song without words from the man who made Atlantis?

Early on, I said to Flay "You almost sound as if you are halfway there". Flay almost sounds like half of Feufollet.

Then I said "As for Atlantis, it could have started here". I posted a photo of Cadiz and then another and also two photographs of Manuel de Falla who was subsequently identified as a composer born in Cadiz. We established that he had composed Atlàntida (Atlantis). He was therefore "the man who made Atlantis" with that Atlantis emanating from Andalucia.

What no one got was that he also composed Chanson du Feu Follet. This was the song without words.

I explained that the La Rochelle in the question was not on the west coast of France but was rather in Paris. There was a photo of a man who lived in Paris who was identified as Pierre Drieu. A link to Pierre Drieu La Rochelle was discussed but no one said "Ah, he is the La Rochelle in the question". However, the link showed that he had written the novel "Le Feu Follet" in 1931 which was in turn a very famous film.

Cow Island is located in Vermillion, as indicated by the colour in the square, and as I explained that is in Louisiana. Cajun was mentioned. Cow Island Hop is a cd in that style from the world music group Feufollet.

And towards the end, I said to mercia that all this began with the etincelles, the answer to the previous question. Etincelles are sparks. I added that it was now so much bigger. And of course the sparks had become a fire - the fire within (feufollet).

So to sum it up, the novel feufollet came from La Rochelle, the group Feufollet hopped to Cow Island and feu follet inspired a song without words from de Falla who also "made" Atlantis.
        Last edited by Guest; 27-01-12, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I think the record was the extremely strange E posted by Caliban.

I thought it was great

You've never forgotten it, have you Anna!

OK time to hit the M1. Early Friday evening. Oh Great...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I thought it was great

You've never forgotten it, have you Anna!

OK time to hit the M1. Early Friday evening. Oh Great...
            On yer bike, Calibs or is Carstairs outside warming up the Hamstrung Sidney?

Comment

Anna, you can have G if you like, Lat.

Comment

Thank you for your kind invitation am. I will have to edit this post as I have lost track of the audit. The question was....What F came from La Rochelle, hopped to Cow Island and inspired a song without words from the man who made Atlantis?

Early on, I said to Flay "You almost sound as if you are halfway there". Flay almost sounds like half of Feufollet.

Then I said "As for Atlantis, it could have started here". I posted a photo of Cadiz and then another and also two photographs of Manuel de Falla who was subsequently identified as a composer born in Cadiz. We established that he had composed Atlàntida (Atlantis). He was therefore "the man who made Atlantis" with that Atlantis emanating from Andalucia.

What no one got was that he also composed Chanson du Feu Follet. This was the song without words.

I explained that the La Rochelle in the question was not on the west coast of France but was rather in Paris. There was a photo of a man who lived in Paris who was identified as Pierre Drieu. A link to Pierre Drieu La Rochelle was discussed but no one said "Ah, he is the La Rochelle in the question". However, the link showed that he had written the novel "Le Feu Follet" in 1931 which was in turn a very famous film.

Cow Island is located in Vermillion, as indicated by the colour in the square, and as I explained that is in Louisiana. Cajun was mentioned. Cow Island Hop is a cd in that style from the world music group Feufollet.

And towards the end, I said to mercia that all this began with her etincelles, the answer to the previous question. Etincelles are sparks. I added that it was now so much bigger. And of course the sparks had become a fire - the fire within (feufollet).

So to sum it up, the novel feufollet came from La Rochelle, the group Feufollet hopped to Cow Island and feu follet inspired a song without words from de Falla who also "made" Atlantis.
                A masterly explanation, Lats!

Comment

Thank you am. I think Anna is taking a break and I will do the same. Hope this is ok with everyone. I enjoyed it.

Comment

Anna, you can have G if you like, Lat.
                    Oh, don't look at me Lats, I have now The Smiths on, Strangeways Here we Come. I rediscovered them when I posted William and vints loved it (bless him, athough such a parvenu in so many ways) so, I decline the offer of a G, nice of you to offer.

How about I pass on my brownie points to Ams? Or my fave Wizard?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Oh, don't look at me Lats, I have now The Smiths on, Strangeways Here we Come. I rediscovered them when I posted William and vints loved it (bless him, athough such a parvenu in so many ways) so, I decline the offer of a G, nice of you to offer.

How about I pass on my brownie points to Ams? Or my fave Wizard?
                      Good grief I don't deserve that - besides, I am out to dinner, soon I hope, once the gasman has fixed my boiler

Comment

Oh yes, The Smiths were terrific. I have to get some food in so if someone wants to set a question on G that's good for me.

(In case no one steps in soon, you could try this one. What G links Philip Glass, Arthur B Rubinstein and Declan O'Rourke? Tip - Think of an Italian who was a teacher of music and a great flute player but better known for achievements beyond the arts).

But as I have suggested, anyone can feel free to ditch this one and set something else if they would prefer to do so before lunch.
                        Last edited by Guest; 28-01-12, 10:04.

Comment

Galileo?

Comment

What G links Philip Glass, Arthur B Rubinstein and Declan O'Rourke?
                            (Tip - Think of an Italian who was a teacher of music and a great flute player but better known for achievements beyond the arts).
                            Very kind of you to offer to set another question, Lats. Here's hoping we can think laterally enough to solve it!

(whoops, Anton may have solved it already!)
                            Last edited by Flay; 28-01-12, 10:23. Reason: Anton's posting
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Oh yes, The Smiths were terrific. I have to get some food in so if someone wants to set a question on G that's good for me.

(In case no one steps in soon, you could try this one. What G links Philip Glass, Arthur B Rubinstein and Declan O'Rourke? Tip - Think of an Italian who was a teacher of music and a great flute player but better known for achievements beyond the arts).

But as I have suggested, anyone can feel free to ditch this one and set something else if they would prefer to do so before lunch.
                              I DO hope it's harder than your last question - I can then start to really enjoy my new status as a gawping bystander.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                (whoops, Anton may have solved it already!)
                                Ooh, hope he has, we haven't had an anton puzzle for ages! (I admit I got serious brain fade yesterday ..... why don't we have a puzzled emoticon?)

Comment

Working...
                                X